Cantar X3 input to track routing

jacefivesound

X3 users, I have a question for you:

when you route inputs to tracks, can you select pre or post fader? I'm interested in the unit for its number of outputs of course, but I would like the ability to create several mix minuses to send to different outputs. 

Example, l bus is mix, then I want to say, send a mixminus to 2 earwigs, say each a mix minus so the characters with the earwigs don't hear themselves. Is this possible? This is something I currently use my 2 auxes on my 788T for. 

Thanks!

Jason,

You could certainly do this on the Cantar X1 and X2

You could send any combo of tracks to each of the feeds - line out, and foldback, without affecting the mix track. 

Don't see why not with the new one.

Just talking through my hat, so to speak. No real experience with the X3 yet.

Regards,

Jm Rillie

Thanks!

register and log in to the aaton website and download the manual for the X3... :)

there are 8 line outs and 8 digital outs as well. any combo of inputs in any flavour can be sent to any of these outputs. :)

Edited by soundtrane

like already posted by soundtrane, any combo of mix and/or iso tracks can be routed to any output. you can use up to 8 output configs at the same time regardless if analog or digital. 

but it is difficult with your special requests, as you'd need 3 different sub mixes and X3 provides only 2 mix tracks. 

my ad hoc solution with this on Cantar X3 would be

mixtrack 1 is mix minus A, goes to Actor A, mixtrack b is mix minus B, goes to earwig B

"mixtrack 3" is a sum of A and B, that goes to directors phones and everybody else and comprises A and B as well. you can adjust the levels of A and B in the mix but I admit it is a workaround, as X3 does not provide the 4 submix routing options a 788 T can offer.

But just ask the people at Aaton if such an option can be implemented in a future software update. It does not sound impossible to me. 

if it is for playback, then cantar offers a lot more flexibility, because you can do a remix during playback. 

couldn't you just assign outputs with the needed tracks minus the actors?

yes you could - but they would be pre-fade - meaning pre-mix-fader... if you want to do real submixes dynamically and use them, it is possible to do two but not more than two at the time. having said this, the X3 is a growing machine and can do many things it could do in the near future. it may not be impossible to achieve what Jason needs.  

when you route inputs to tracks, can you select pre or post fader? I'm interested in the unit for its number of outputs of course, but I would like the ability to create several mix minuses to send to different outputs. 

Example, l bus is mix, then I want to say, send a mixminus to 2 earwigs, say each a mix minus so the characters with the earwigs don't hear themselves. Is this possible? This is something I currently use my 2 auxes on my 788T for. 

Thanks!

Hi Jason, Sorry, I am a bit slow out of the blocks on this one. When you are routing to the line outs you create a configuration. This is a routing plan that you can label and then apply to any of the 8 analogue line outs, the 8 AES3 digital outs or the Dante outs (24 I think but I have not used the Dante yet). When setting up the configuration, you can select the iso track that you wish to route and it will be at the gain set by the input trim - the level at which it is being recorded on its iso track - and it will be T3 or T4 or whatever in the configuration. If you wish to send to the line out at the level you are feeding it to the mix, i.e. post fade you press shift 5 and T3 or T4 becomes P3 or P4 and you have post fade at the line outs. It is very versatile and on a project that I am currently mixing, we can feed puppeteer's vox to particular actors who need to react to it. One of the many great things about the Sonosax ST which was my mixer for nearly 8 years were the aux outs. The X3 is infinitely more flexible and with a little AJA ADA box I can have 12 line outs - more than enough for the sort of movies that I do. I hope this clarifies it for you.

Tim

I have added a screen shot of config page showing T3 pre fade and P4 which is T4 switched to post fade.

X3_line-out_pre_post.jpg

Edited by TJW
Added graphic