Kitsplit: a New Rental House Business Model

Jan McL

Just spent more than a few minutes reading the TOS for Kitsplit, an interesting site that aspires to hook up kit owners and those who need kit. Is this potentially a game changer for rentals?

https://marketplace.kitsplit.com/

You can't get "in" to the site without first registering and confirming email, but you can get to TOS that appear to address all manner of potential horrible situations. Up to $10K insurance is included.

Gonna watch this unfold.

I'd be interested to see how this works out. I wonder what happens when someone fails to return my rack of expensive radio mics or whatever. I wonder whether kitsplit will legally 'run a mile' from the whole transaction. How do you check that the person you are hiring to is OK?

Kindest

sb

Maybe ok for larger items that one doesn't use daily: PA system, stereo mic, stands, multitrack recorder, big console, snakes, thumper, etc..  We tried this many years ago (sans internet) and I didn't like how my gear was treated, and I really didn't like having to deliver and pickup.  I've had really bad experiences lately with similar outfits (Borrow Lenses, etc) where a shoot went over or someone was tied up and cameras didn't arrive in time for our shoot.  There is also the issue of backup--if I've rented something from a rental house and I have an issue or even just need help using it I can call someone to talk me down, and if need be jump in a car with a replacement and bring it to me on set.  For newb indie filmmakers I can see it I guess, but for me I'd want to see it evolve into something more like a real rental house (like that does gear check-in and service etc).

Audio Services, the predecessor to Location Sound, used to offer to rent equipment for clients. They would keep the client gear in their inventory and split the proceeds whenever it was rented out. I don't recall the specifics of the split. This could work out nicely for anyone with only occasional need for gear as it would earn money during your downtime but be available whenever you booked a project. Not suitable, of course, if you book a day here and another day there; you would drive everyone to distraction pulling and then returning your own gear from inventory. But it was useful for some who booked longer projects.

Audio Services provided all the administration, hand-holding for users, insurance and the like. The benefit for them was the ability to have dozens of Nagras (and other things) available so they could readily provide whatever was needed during peak times. The benefit for the equipment owner was some extra money and a secure place to store gear when not working on a project. And, of course, the service department at ASC kept the equipment in good repair and alignment.

I never consigned any of my gear but I know others who did and it seemed to work for them. It's the kind of arrangement that works when there is a responsible administrator company, like ASC, and is probably too risky if it's run by an outfit with fewer resources. It can be a very nice arrangement for people who maintain an inventory of backup gear that would sit around when not on a big assignment.

David

if these kind of things are started by people without real straight practical experience in our line of work, then it may turn out quite avoidable. 

Actually, one of the founders has been in the film industry since birth. Her father is Lloyd Kaufaman, president of Troma Entertainment and her mother was the Film Commissioner of the State of New York for many years.  I met her on set when she was only 8yrs old - so, it's safe to say she has "real straight practical experience". 

Cheers,

Evan

I'm sure not going to be the first to jump in the Kitsplit pool. Nice idea, but the stolen/damage reporting requirements (within one hour or one day, etc) are understandable but grim. And like Phil says, having a solid house behind the gear is worth a lot. For back up, but also so stuff is benched before it's sent out...

And Kitsplit prices are currently uneven. Some camera rental rates seem fairly high. But then there's this for $600/day. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out:

Fully loaded Dragon Package complete with Sachtler 150mm 9+9 Tripod, Tilta Matte Box, Tilta Dual-Sided Follow Focus, Tilta Cage, Moose Bars/Shoulder Pad, Zeiss Distagon Primes and MORE. We pride ourselves on being very accommodating and very responsive to renter's needs.

1013-listing.jpg?1446117802

Everybody's thoughts land kinda where I imagined they would. Great for the few big items sitting around going stale from disuse... Can't imagine letting out my daily gear this way. Not had great experience lending out stuff to people I don't know well. Even when I do know them well, lending's proved more of a crap shoot than I enjoy. Could be a boon for a lot of just-starting-out folks.

That one of the founders was born into Troma doesn't necessarily recommend her. I worked with those guys once. Last hours of the last day had me holding a producer by the shirt collars and stuffing money into his pocket for water and pizza for the parched / exhausted / ravenous crew saying something like, "Now."

I was invited to use this site during its beta when I had just upgraded much of my kit, so I posted my backup gear for hire, including my G3s and DR680. I only rented it out a handful of times before letting my membership lapse, but most of the time I had people pick up from me, and it was always a pleasant and painless process. The owners of the site were extremely helpful when I had questions. I never had to deal with a damage claim though, which is where I imagine the difficulty lies with a service like this.

Well everyone can be a bud until there is money lost.  The daily driver gear is just too mission-critical for this kind of thing.  Support your local rental house--they'll be there for you when you really need help.

Re Troma etc--experience on the production side could be a sort of liability in the equipt rental business.  If you could tell me that a founder once worked for some years for a real rental house that would impress me.

p

I think I tend to agree with what's being said here. Despite the advantages of being able to rent out some lesser used things, I think I would rather support the rental houses who always have me at their best interest. Sometimes I rent from or to other people in the community that I know and trust, but by and large, the idea of getting something that doesnt work and there being no available backup scares me. Not everyone takes as good of care of their gear as I do, and a real rental house will find you a a replacement and run it out to you if it is a real emergency and they do not have another one of that item in stock. 

So I guess this would be a "use at your own risk" sort of deal.