zaxcom ERX3 With OLED display

Shastapete

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get a lot of requests to build ERX cables with right angle 3.5mm because straight connectors seems to cause problems in the field.

Ya know once you put it on the camera anything and everything happens to it.

Is there a right angle 3.5mm locking connector coming? I have never seen one in the wild. Maybe Remote Audio will build one?

The other thing to keep in mind is not all 3.5mm TRS connects are created equal. I had some a few years back where the tip didn't flare out as much as on other connectors which caused an intermittent connection on just the tip. It took me a while before I figured what the issue was. And since i had made several cables with the same connectors I ruled out a cable issue. I sent the mixer in for service only to have the same issue when it came back. It was a very minor different between the connectors I was using and a "good" connector but there was certainly a difference.

I now have only been using switchcraft TRS connectors for the past 15 or so years and all has been good.

If the the ground of the 3.5mm connector is not making good contact crosstalk will be the result. Now that the connector is locking this can not happen if the locking male plug is used.

Glenn

Thanks a lot, Glenn. Great work, as usual. 

I haven't noticed the issue, either.

Consider that crosstalk into a scratch track isn't always a bad thing -- it diminishes the temptation for post to use the track for final audio.

While I completely agree with you in theory, the level of TC crosstalk I experienced from my ERX2s was totally unacceptable - both for post and for an expensive piece of professional audio equipment. 

Yes, good on the camera, not so good on the director's ears

Its simple to disengage the TC output for client IFB purposes.... I'm not sure who is sending TC to a director's ear, but it certainly isn't me. 

Cheers,

Evan

Are you talking about recording only "no wireless" 96kHZ?

yes.  Standalone recording no wireless. As I understand it. The 742 transmits only at 32k. Which imo is silly since it's an all digital transmission.  Although I'm sure they have their reasons.       This would be purely for going out and recording direct to the inbuilt micro sd card.    Remote hiking and would be set to standalone 96k / 48k record mode only.  

I have a lot of producers who use their own personal IFB headsets or even ear buds, and even I feel the volume is too low, and I don't tend to monitor too loud myself.  Even with sensitive headsets, there are situations where I'd like more gain too.

yeh they need more juice.  I've experienced the same depending on the headphones used.  Another 10db would be helpful. 

I've had crosstalk on a few cables. One was bnc xlr. The other for red one.   Both home made.  I fired myself and switched to remote audio.   

I now have both in the braided remote audio cable and no issues.  Seems to be cable / connector related.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...