Fasle battery reading on Tascam DR-70D

Mike Kujbida

This is a fairly new Tascam (purchased within the past year).
 I was on a shoot recently and every set of freshly charged batteries (Imedion Powerex 2400 ma) I put into it were supposedly low. I tested them in another DR-70D I had and they were fine. I went through the manual but it wasn't much help. I've been in contact with my dealer (Tyler Wade from Trew Audio Toronto) and tried his suggestions (clean the contacts and update the firmware) and still no success.

Before I send it back for repair, has anyone had this problem and what was the solution? Thanks.

Sorry if this answer is stating some very obvious things.. No harm intended

Some devices have a setting for the type of battery you're using. Have you checked to see that it's expecting NiMH?

If yes; all the NiMHs I use reads as though they've been a little used from the get go. I have a set of g2s and I've never had a full battery symbol more than half an hour on them using powerex 2700 mah. This said, the g2s still lasts for hours and hours (thirteen probably)

Skickat från min E5823 via Tapatalk

Olle, that's because NiMh peak at 1.2V and hold more or less that voltage till they drop suddenly, unlike alkaline which start at 1.5Vish and drop steadily from there.

Yes, I know this, I just couldn't put it into words. Or the right words, the technical terms and stuff. You know.. English not being my mother language I sometimes just forget but I couldn't not say it. Fellow sound technician in need urge too strong to resist. Thanks for correcting

Skickat från min E5823 via Tapatalk

Bash, all I have are rechargeables and if I put in a just charged set into the defective units, the meter is at the bottom of the scale.

Tom, the batteries slide in and out very easily so that's not an issue with me.

The units have been sent back to Trew and I'm hoping that they'll tell me what the cure was when they figure it out.

• 1 month later...

Time to put this thread to rest. Thanks to the good folks at Trew Audio Toronto, I finally got my faulty recorders back - kinda :)
When they called Tascam and described the problem to them, they were told to destroy the units and that new ones would be shipped to replace them. No explanation given so I can only assume that there was a manufacturing defect.

Clarification:

That's a single unit defect, we don't have any batches of faulty units.   It's certainly not normal to have units destroyed, but in this case I think the shipping + customs taxes on getting the broken units back from Canada to the US outweighs any benefit we could get from repairing and refurbishing them.