Headphone advice

Chase Yeremian

Choosing headphones is a very personal. Opinions vary widely on this. Not only for the sound, but also fit, isolation, on- or over-the-ear etc. Best thing to do is try a few that you think you may like, then make your decision.

There have been several threads on this here in the past.

Some of my personal observations:

Many people like the Sony 7506 - I do not. They have a pretty significant bump around 10KHz… gives me instant tinnitus. Also the ear pads fall off if you drop the cans on the floor. Can of course be remedied with the Garfield softies.

After switching to Sennheiser HD-25-ii I felt they were an improvement in terms of both sound and isolation compared to the Sonys. Of course, they have their own quirks - intermittent connection after varying amounts of time for various users (also discussed here before). For me they lasted a little over 2 years… yes, after the warranty had expired.

Ultrasone are also popular, and some highly respected mixers on this board have reported that they are happily using them. I tried a pair, but probably the wrong model… or perhaps I did something wrong because they did not work for me at all. The problem for me was that everything sounded great. Too good. Counter-intuitive? No, stay with me. If I pulled up any song - it sounded great. I tried them with some work in progress music project that wasn’t mixed yet - sounded great too. Tried changing some EQ on a bass track, and there was no difference in sound even when cutting or boosting up to 6dB around 300 Hz, which made me double check if I was tweaking the right channel (yes, it’s happened to all of us at least once, admit it!)…. but I was on the right one. So weird.

For the past few months, I have been using Beyerdynamic DT-1350. The version with a coiled cable.
These took a little getting used to at first, but now I absolutely love them.
Very good isolation, light weight, feel rugged - and flat sound.

YMMV.