COS-11 Vampire Clip

Arnold F.

I though I saw a thread on this earlier but cannot find it now.  I've wanted some kind of vampire for the COS-11 since I bought it and one recently appeared.  I was eager to use it on a job where demanding situations sometimes arise (climbing around on old bridges, rappelling, etc.).  The $20 cost stung a bit and, unfortunately, I didn't even get it on the talent before it the barrel separated from the mount upon which it had been glued.

best,

Arnold

I though I saw a thread on this earlier but cannot find it now.  I've wanted some kind of vampire for the COS-11 since I bought it and one recently appeared.  I was eager to use it on a job where demanding situations sometimes arise (climbing around on old bridges, rappelling, etc.).  The $20 cost stung a bit and, unfortunately, I didn't even get it on the talent before it the barrel separated from the mount upon which it had been glued.

best,

Arnold

Arnold,

we have had them since they 1st "hit the street" and had not one return or malfunction. call your local vendor (NY-G.S.)and they will exchange it, no questions asked.

later,

• 4 weeks later...

I also couldn't find the older thread on this.  Anyway, I bought one too for twenty bucks last time I was at the dealer's. 

The good news: it works as advertised.

The bad news: I can't get the damn thing off the mic.  I tried and tried, but I don't want to force the issue and break that irreperable cable connection near the element.  So now that particular COS-11 has a permanent vampire clip on it -- not very useful for ties, which is annoying on the FBI show I'm currently on.

Anyone else have this happen and find a solution?

I had to shorten them up about 3/8" , that is trim em down with an exato knife . I did this before putting the mike to far in though.

One thought is to use a hair dryer to carefully heat the out side tube and it may possibly expand enough to let you pull out the COS-11

• 2 weeks later...

After looking at the tube style Vclip I tried my hand at making my own ($20 for a clip is a little heavy handed) so I found some small, stiff tubing in my garage and tried copying the tube style clip. It worked the same way as the original, but I didn't like the way it looked. Too bulky IMO. So I messed around a little more and came up with a very svelt vampire clip that works great. I used it last week on a corp. shoot where they didn't want to see the mic. Black on black is a wonderful thing man! Anyhow, the clip started life as a Countryman B6 vampire clip designed to go around the cable. The rubber Countryman used for that clip always worried me because it is so stiff. I never wanted to use it because I didn't want to accidentily rip the head off the B6 when taking it out of the clip. So I took the Countryman clip and put it into the freezer for about 5 minutes so the rubber wound harden up more and then took a 7/64" drill bit and widened out the hole so the COS-11 wound now fit in the rubber mount. It worked perfectly and the clip holds the mic head very tight. Just simple bit of tape on the cable to hold it beind the fabric and the mic doesn't become too oversized. The Countryman Vclip is very tiny and doesn't look too large.

Try this if you want, but becareful with the drill bit. You'll have to hold the clip between your fingers while you drill. I couldn't get the clip to hold still enough when I clamped it in my bench vise. Don't blame me if you put a hole in your hand. Good luck!

I'll try and take some pictures of it, problem is that I have no Macro lense, the darn thing is so tiny!