8060 and 4017 in humid/wet environments

Jamesg

Apologies if this has already been covered here (I know there are a lot of threads about these mics) but Im wondering if anyone has really given either of these mics a good beating in humid or wet places? I'm used to relying on my MKH60 for adventure type shows but fancy something smaller and lighter... 

Both the DPA 4017 and the Sennheiser MKH8060 should be immune to humid air (except extremes like water droplets condensing on the circuits), but for somewhat different reasons: The DPA is an electret element which does not have the humidity vulnerability of most full condenser mic (like Scheops and Neumann), and the MKH60 and MKH8060 has sennheiser's "RF condenser" circuit, both of which are isolated from moisture and induction noises.

For all practical purposes, the MKH60 and the MKH4060 will have same sonic characteristics. The 4017 has more low frequency side and rear rejection which can mislead some into thinking the mic is too bright. However, this "brightness" is largely due to the reduction of off-axis low frequencies, which could be argued that it gives a more natural character overall.   

Glen Trew

Edited by Glen Trew

After owning my 4017C for just a few days it spent several hours in a brewery near the top of several open Coppers where the brewers were mixing ingredients. There was a lot of steam directly hitting the microphone throughout the day.

No issues, though since then it's been through pretty mild climates.