How to Stop People from Whispering Sultry Things into the Boom

William Hirsch

So telling him/her you don't want him/her (why isn't there a better word for that?) to doesn't do the trick? Then that douche is a douche. I'd probably just ignore and don't give it too much attention. That's what I do when my kids are being douches. They get tired right away and quit it.

If he/she still doesn't quit I'd just probably just ask him /her to stop it, because it's so annoying and you have other things to focus on. Gently, of course. If that doesn't change things then try getting mad. Say that you're a professional and you need your working environment to be cool and respectful. You don't go over to the director whispering things to him /her, right?

This is a serious problem. Serious. With the utmost sincerity. I feel like I need to wash out my ears with soap after some of the things they say. What to do? Should I hit them with the boom or just stick it in their mouth? Would that make it worse?

Roll with it. Depends on who is whispering what, such as my friend in the picture who can whisper anything she wants for as long as she wants.

Janice.jpg

I did a film with a director who insisted on talking to the actors throughout every shot. After a couple of days, I asked my boomswinger to swing the mic over to the director when he talked during the shots - my reasoning was that it was probably the only thing that I could record well, since there would be director speaking over the actors. I didnt make any issue otherwise on the set. After the second set of rushes done in this way the director miraculously stopped talking during the shots.

Kindest,

sb

I did a film with a director who insisted on talking to the actors throughout every shot. After a couple of days, I asked my boomswinger to swing the mic over to the director when he talked during the shots - my reasoning was that it was probably the only thing that I could record well, since there would be director speaking over the actors. I didnt make any issue otherwise on the set. After the second set of rushes done in this way the director miraculously stopped talking during the shots.

Kindest,

sb

Ah very nice.

If what they're saying is harassment (and that's a wider term than I used to think after having taken training classes) and makes you uncomfortable, a word to a supervisor may be said. "Hostile work environment" is the term d'art.

Much prefer settling creatively as others have outlined so entertainingly well.

To the fellow who managed to rub against and touch me suggestively while being wired I whispered while grasping his hand, "Touch me like that again and I'll break your fingers, darling."

Whatever you do, don't ask them not to. They'll assume you're kidding. Seriously.

I used to tune live PAs regularly and have a nice Class 1 measurement microphone (used it for studios and anechoic speaker testing as well). I would often get people that I could tell wanted to walk up and jokingly say "testing check one two", so I would preemptively tell them "don't talk into that it's very sensitive equipment". Sure enough, that was the trigger they needed to spit right into my microphone.