I had to vent, so sorry

Tom Maloney

I just have to vent , sorry, 

The other day, it was reported that CBS was not showing a episode of NCIS and Super Girl because the story line involved terrorism.

They actually believe that the public will be grateful of their decision when all year long they show this crap involving chasing terrorists and murder and brutality in this Country.

Sadly after time passes they will air this crap as they do all year long.

You cant turn on the stupid tube with out seeing some person chasing another person with a gun or blowing each other up. We have hour long shows about who murdered who, we have shows showing prison life, drug users.

And then you have early morning shows where people make 25 million a year with a show that tells you how to dress, what to eat and what is trending or how to dress your kids for the weather.

I don't know how parents even turn on a tv in their home. there is absolutely nothing for children to watch about family life.

My heart goes out to not only the victims in France but also their first responders, Those men and women who come and save lives, how they must have nightmares. I cant even imagine the bravery it takes to do their job. They are heroes, the police, fire and medical  personal all over the world.

I am disconnecting my tv, the news is terrible and when there is nothing to report, they tell me stupid stuff that have no bearing on my daily decisions I make.

This will also get those salesmen out of my house who try to sell me something every 5 minutes.

Peace

Tom n Chicago

The beauty of DVR.  Watch what you want to watch.  Personally, I watch very little TV at it's scheduled airing.  My viewing is 98% DVR.  As far as news,  the reporting of it is now akin to reading People Magazine - fluffy, slanted and horseshit.  My turning point came when Oprah Winfrey had a special where she interviewed Michael Jackson and the 11:00 news program following the interview was nothing but a rehash of the Winfrey/Jackson interview.  THE WHOLE FUCKING NEWS PROGRAM! Nothing of importance happened in the world that day according to them with the exception of the weather and sports.

Goodbye network news. Edward R. Murrow must be turning in his grave.

+1 on the DVR. I don't watch any shows live any more, and neither do my kids. The only thing I'll watch live is football, and even then I'll pause it for a while to go do something else, come back, and then just fast forward through the commercials. My kids no longer have an interest in any tv shows unless it's one of the BBC "planet earth" style shows, and they've gravitated towards those on their own. 

Even with football I'm only half interested and I bet if I didn't have DirecTV I wouldn't miss it. There are a few shows that I do like to watch, and even with online streaming, there are certain networks that won't allow you to access their shows (USA being one) unless you have a cable provider. I was stunned when I went to go watch the last episode of Mr. Robot that my DVR didn't record on their site and had to log in to their site using my DirecTV account in order to view it. 

I really just wish that all shows would be a la carte like the Amazon shows. If you have Prime all those shows are free, but for regular network shows...just give me the first episode for free to see if I like it and then I'll pay a buck or two for each episode after that per season...and none of this going on line a week or so...or months..after the episode airs. If I'm into a show I do like to watch it within a day or so of when it originally aired. I hate seeing spoilers for Game of Thrones on Facebook. 

Do you think that any of the victims of Friday's attacks give a flaming f**k about whether or not Supergirl, or NCIS, run a particular episode?

Tom, you don't have to vent.

You can internalize your anger and frustration and just let it go.

It's fiction.

It's television.

It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

ANYway...to get back on topic. 

Is there anyone who has cut the chord but managed to get content as it comes out instead of weeks or months after the fact? 

For content I use Netflix, HBO Go, Amazon Prime, and Youtube.   For TV Shows NBC/Fox/Fx/ABC/ESPN/CC/History/AMC have new episodes or live tv through their Roku app same day.  Reddit.com/r/NHLStreams for live NHL games; someone usually puts up a live Youtube link which I play on my phone and send it to the Chromecast. And torrents...

Sling is $20/mo? I think everyone uses it for ESPN. 

For content I use Netflix, HBO Go, Amazon Prime, and Youtube.   For TV Shows NBC/Fox/Fx/ABC/ESPN/CC/History/AMC have new episodes or live tv through their Roku app same day.  Reddit.com/r/NHLStreams for live NHL games; someone usually puts up a live Youtube link which I play on my phone and send it to the Chromecast. And torrents...

Sling is $20/mo? I think everyone uses it for ESPN. 

So, by the time I've paid for all those services separately I'm still in almost as much as what I'm paying for DirecTV, and for the streaming stuff from the networks I can't skip over commercials. 

I'm in Comcast territory. Just getting internet is pretty expensive compared to adding digital cable, but i know a few people that are happy with Hulu+ and Netflix. Sports seems to be the major thing that keeps a lot of people subscribing to cable, but i don't watch any professional sports, so i don't know what the options are. I think ESPN has a direct AppleTV/Roku subscription option though, right? 

Honestly, I wouldn't get bent out of shape if I lost the sports stuff. I've had Amazon Prime for a long time now, and I originally got it for the free 2 day shipping, and the video stuff is just a bonus for me. When I got Prime, none of the video content existed. But even then, I'd have to subscribe to several different things to get the content that I want, and I've done the math before...it ends up being the same as having cable or DirecTV, but I don't get to skip over the commercials unless I actually buy the episodes or seasons of whatever shows I watch, but that isn't until long after they originally aired. 

I'm in Comcast territory. Just getting internet is pretty expensive compared to adding digital cable, but i know a few people that are happy with Hulu+ and Netflix. Sports seems to be the major thing that keeps a lot of people subscribing to cable, but i don't watch any professional sports, so i don't know what the options are. I think ESPN has a direct AppleTV/Roku subscription option though, right? 

I'm one of those people. Oh, and HBO Go.

So, by the time I've paid for all those services separately I'm still in almost as much as what I'm paying for DirecTV, and for the streaming stuff from the networks I can't skip over commercials. 

Depends on your situation.  

In Atlanta, I have Comcast internet only, with a data cap for $30 @ 30/10.  Every year I call them and tell them I can cutting service and switching to ATT (which is not available in my part of town) unless they honor the $30 introductory price.  I win every time.  I have Amazon Prime for the 2-Day shipping, so the video is a bonus, so let's take that off the bill. Netflix is $10.  I have the luxury of parents that have a cable subscription, so I use their login for HBO/NBC/etc.  So my situation is $40.  I now pay for unlimited data for $35 extra a month, because COMCAST. So $75 all in.   The best TV package from Comcast is $145+ in my area for real channels and real sports.  The 13 channel basic cable package is $75 alone.  

My friend in NYC is in a FIOS neighborhood.  1200 Channels, 120/50 internet, phone for $120/mo.   I am in a ATL Google Fiber zone, so I will switch when it is live. 

TV/Internet/Cell phone packages are like credit card companies.  It is set up so you can not and will not win 

...I wouldn't get bent out of shape if I lost the sports stuff....

I'd really like my cable company to offer an "A La Carte" pricing structure so that I could order, and pay for, the cable channels that I want instead of being forced to buy some idiotic 'package' in order to get the two or three channels within.

I don't watch NatGeo, or DIscovery, or E! so why am I being forced to pay for them? I don't watch sports so paying for 600 ESPN channels ticks me off.  If someone wants football 24/7 let them pay $20/month for it.

Depends on your situation.  

My friend in NYC is in a FIOS neighborhood.  1200 Channels, 120/50 internet, phone for $120/mo.

A good friend of mine in Paris gets (really) high speed internet (with no data cap), 200+ channels (including a lot in HD), and a telephone land line with free calls to land lines in 30 countries (including the US).

He pays less than $50 per month because the French have something called "competition" in the marketplace. He can choose among 7 different providers.

Oh yeah. He also has a really nice cell phone (talk/text/data) plane that costs him $30/month.

Man...I WISH we had proper competition here, and I'm stunned at how these companies get away with it. I only have one option for internet, and I've been so unhappy with their service I've been tempted to look into starting my own ISP. It's been like this every single place I've lived. That's Vegas, San Diego, LA, and now Tennessee. I've always been in large metro areas, and still only get one choice besides satellite. My parents in a small town of 16,000 people have a myriad of options and change all the time. We also have very slow internet here compared to the rest of the world that has it. Even worse if you are staying in a hotel. 

I also am a fan of the a la carte idea for tv channels, and so many people are they are ditching it, thus the earlier conversation. The thing is, most of those channels you never watch only exist because of the current model. If we all switched to a la carte we'd be back to a handful of channels, which I wouldn't mind, but the channels and and cable providers would. I'd just love it if all content came the way Amazon does it. Choose what you want. If you have prime and it is included then great. If not then you can pay for it, but only have it online the same time it airs, like they did with Under The Dome. 

My kids never turn the TV on any more. I'm thinking that once my DirecTV contract is up in a year I'll either ditch it or cut back what I get. There are some shows on cable that I do watch that if I didn't have some sort of content provider, be it cable or satellite, I would not be able to watch on their websites.