Tape Residue Removal from Lavs

ptalsky

Good question!

I use 99% alcohol, but you have to scrub a bit.  My main issue is keeping the white Sanken rubber mounts clean.  They get filthy within a couple of days using 3M micropore tape.  I've tried Xylene, but it leaves a smell like magic markers that some people might like, but most don't...

I've also used white gas and lighter fluid - not much better.

I'm afraid to try Acetone because I'm worried it will damage the rubber.

Anyone else have any magic bullets?

cheers,

Brent C

First clean the sticky off with Goo-Gone, then use alcohol to clean off the residue from the Goo-Gone. 

NOTE:  Some of the alcohol sold in drug stores is only 50% and doesn't do a very good job.  Denatured alcohol that is 91%-99% is much preferable.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=95226-82-GGP16

JB

Huggies baby wipes.  Kinda scary that something you wipe a baby's delicate area with will also remove dirt and residue easily.  You can even smoke while doing it, unless there are actual babies there.

I learned this lesson when trying to remove movie blood from our lavs with Goo Gone.  It was smelly and ineffective.  It was either a make-up person or costumer, I don't remember, handed me a baby wipe.  Worked like a charm on the blood and other residue.  Required some delicate rubbing, but non-toxic and easy.

Robert

So, I just picked up a repaired B6 from Countryman (actually, they replaced it for free instead of fixing it - I love Countryman) and realized, hey, they may know what works best.  :-)

They recommend basic rubbing alcohol.  They were very specific though to keep the head clear of alcohol.  Just use it on the cable.  Looks like Brent wins the prize.  ;-)

Thanks all for the feedback.  Though I do like the idea of baby wipes...sounds more gentle on the cable.  Maybe Countryman is just trying to sell more mics.  :-)

Phil

Huggies baby wipes.  Kinda scary that something you wipe a baby's delicate area with will also remove dirt and residue easily.  You can even smoke while doing it, unless there are actual babies there.

I learned this lesson when trying to remove movie blood from our lavs with Goo Gone.  It was smelly and ineffective.  It was either a make-up person or costumer, I don't remember, handed me a baby wipe.  Worked like a charm on the blood and other residue.  Required some delicate rubbing, but non-toxic and easy.

Robert

RS,

Its funny man, I used to see a small box of baby wipes on sound carts a lot more in the past than now. wonder why?  also, there is a product called:

scrubbs in a bucket. (office depot or the like) leaves a refreshing smell along with removing the sticky residue.

Gd Lk

FS.

Guest Ken Mantlo

Most times I just take a piece of gaffer tape and rub or "stab" at it.  Like cleaning bubble gum off your lips after the bubble pops with the wad of gum that's left in your mouth.  Works in most cases without carrying extra stuff around.  Duct tape - What can't it do?

FWIW, I've had a lot better luck with "Oops" rather than "Goo Gone" for general adhesive removal. For cleaning delicate lav cables, I prefer to use olive oil, especially for stubborn grease or residue. Baby wipes and alcohol are great to have around for all sorts of stuff, from cleaning hands and cables to removing body oils prior to direct-to-skin tape application.

EB

FWIW, I've had a lot better luck with "Oops" rather than "Goo Gone" for general adhesive removal. For cleaning delicate lav cables, I prefer to use olive oil, especially for stubborn grease or residue. Baby wipes and alcohol are great to have around for all sorts of stuff, from cleaning hands and cables to removing body oils prior to direct-to-skin tape application.

EB

Kenny,EB,

Wow, you guys should hang out. (or do you hang out already?)

Gaffers tape and olive oil, who would have thunk it.

take care men.

I use Varsol. Submerge the rubbers in a small dish and let them sit for ~15 minutes, take em out and wipe them off.

Works like a charm. Also rub on the mic cable to remove any other residue.

pe

Good question!

I use 99% alcohol, but you have to scrub a bit.  My main issue is keeping the white Sanken rubber mounts clean.  They get filthy within a couple of days using 3M micropore tape.  I've tried Xylene, but it leaves a smell like magic markers that some people might like, but most don't...

I've also used white gas and lighter fluid - not much better.

I'm afraid to try Acetone because I'm worried it will damage the rubber.

Anyone else have any magic bullets?

cheers,

Brent C

• 10 years later...

I've been using Goo Gone for quite a few years now but I've just recently noticed now that the rubber on my 5-year-old countryman lavaliers is starting to shred.  Assuming that this shredding is not by design, I think that maybe the Goo Gone is attacking the rubber.

Has anybody out there had this issue?