Get well Marc Wielage

old school

Glad to see you made it. All those hours at the gym paid off in the end. The body is a miraculous thing, that it can get so weak from something so little but still keep going. And then there's the mind. You seem to be strong in both departments. I wish you even better health in the future! And thank you for your story.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be it sudden, be it slow, we are all going to go to the great beyond someday. Marc was lucky this wasn't his time. Many of us I'm sure have had near death experiences. The one thing I've taken from mine was how fragile and precious the blessing of life is. As Thanksgiving comes our way please take a moment each day to give thanks to the real things in your life. The family, friends, the sun shining, whatever and wherever you find it, feel it. Be in the moment and enjoy what time we have here on earth. Enough sermon. Glad for Marc. Glad for the community here @jwsound. Happy to be here, happy to be alive.

CrewC

Play this at my funeral. 

get well soon!! lose as much weight as you can. excess weight leads to the big three, heart disease, diabetes and cancer.

That's the weird thing: I'm only 10 pounds overweight. Still have a size 33 waist, which ain't bad for me. So this is more subtle than just being fat, which I'm not. I remember many years ago when Wally Cox died at 48 of a heart attack, and thinking, "hey! That guy was thin! How could that happen?" But he was a smoker, and that did all kinds of arterial damage. You might look good on the outside, but no so great on the inside.

And thanks for the Traveling Wilburys' song, Crew! One of my favorites. I agree: much to be thankful for this week.

So glad your still here Marc to share your story.   We meticulously maintain all our gear and tools, but the most important tool for any sound person is him or herself.    I'm 41 and my wife and I got my first baby on the way !   This is a good wake up call for me to start focusing a bit more on my diet, exercise and health.  I'd like to stay around a while if it's in the cards.

Edited by Michael Wynne

Scary story!  I'm glad you've lived to tell the tale.  That's very helpful and I think if more people were open about such things, the general populace might become healthier.  One really good point, so simple and in plain sight it's easy to miss, is to pay attention to your body!  We all have our own baselines, and often changes that happen over time are missed.

The genes comment is interesting, in other words - with some gene sets you're just going to have heart attacks?  Regardless of lifestyle / diet?  I find that hard to believe.  I do believe genes have proclivities toward certain diseases, but it's hard to swallow the idea that if someone lives right (maintaining good weight, eating, avoiding toxins, etc) their genes will just trump that.  Does research actually point to that?!  My thought towards such statements has always been that it is to justify bad choices, and assuage the guilt that comes with those choices.

Dan Izen

Wow Marc,  so sorry to hear about the whole episode, and I'm glad you're on your way to a full recovery.  As a professional group of sound recordists consisting of highly compassionate people, I suggest we all not ask you any more questions regarding timecode until your heart can handle it.

Get well soon !

Sean O'Neil

Brooklyn NYC

Thanks much to all! I honestly feel far better today (coming up on 3 weeks since the entire escapade), and I have a lot more energy than before. The biggest surprise to me -- beyond the 25% increase in energy -- is a lot of the little aches and pains I had have pretty much gone away. I had presumed these were all just due to stress and getting older, but it turns out a lot of those things boiled down to bad circulation. Scary how this crap sneaks up on you! I wish I had documented all the little tiny ailments that had plagued me over the last couple of years. I just figured, "eh, not that big a deal, I'll just tough it out," but it turned out the cause was not what I believed.

I wouldn't quite say I'm a new man, but I do feel a helluva lot better. Within 24 hours of returning home, I was back on projects and am now juggling two different features that have deadlines right before Christmas. The pressures of post are different than those for production, and while it's not as physically exhausting, the mental stress is rough. (The clients don't help.) I'm continuing to walk at least a mile or two a day, and getting in workouts while I can. I've cut way back on sugar and am eating more natural snacks like unsalted cashews and just drinking water. We'll see how this goes. 

• 1 month later...

As an update:

The cardiologist tells me there are (sadly) people who are pre-disposed to having clogged arteries, and my ancestors don't have the greatest record for heart disease. (I noticed that David Bowie had 3 heart attacks about ten years ago, so he matched me for approximate age and number of heart attacks, though he was on stage at the time.) I think Bowie had years of drug abuse, which is a bad habit I escaped, but I could be eating better and walking more. The stress and long hours have not helped, but that's the nature of our business.

Had a salad tonight and will be walking 5 miles to the bank and back tomorrow! Still "staying alive, staying alive" as best I can.