Kit Questions about customs moving to Europe

Jesse Watts

So I am moving to Spain in the near future and am hoping to get some insight from someone who may have done this already.

I will be shrinking my kit quite a bit for the move (most if not all in a pelican 1650) *Goodies in FS section soon :-)

My plan is to check the kit but whats the best way to navigate customs and avoid getting reamed?

Thanks!

Jesse

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking: personal belongings = no customs fees.

Of course, if you were to show up with 50 brand new (fill in any product here) in factory sealed boxes, it would appear that you are bringing things for the purpose of re-selling.

I'm definitely going to look into that . Seems like the way to go.

Thanks!

I moved to the UK with about $100k worth of gear. 

My gear came in as tools of the trade. I had to have owned everything for more than 6 months. In order to avoid both duty and VAT, I couldn't sell any gear for a year after it arrived. 

This information is readily available on government websites. 

I moved to the UK with about $100k worth of gear. 

My gear came in as tools of the trade. I had to have owned everything for more than 6 months. In order to avoid both duty and VAT, I couldn't sell any gear for a year after it arrived. 

This information is readily available on government websites. 

Did you have to make an itemised list and show purchase receipts? 

thanks for the info!

I had an itemised list and stated that all items were more than 6 months old.

I wasn't asked to supply receipts, thankfully, as I wasn't questioned by customs. My shipment was handled by PackAir and DHL, who are experienced international shippers. 

They put a metal band around each of my three big shipping cases, with an ID number and corresponding paperwork. My cases were never even opened.

It may of helped that I am a UK citizen and was moving to the UK. They can't examine everyone, and perhaps I wasn't a likely candidate for scrutiny.

Robert

On 11/29/2015, 12:57:38, RPSharman said:

I had an itemised list and stated that all items were more than 6 months old.

I wasn't asked to supply receipts, thankfully, as I wasn't questioned by customs. My shipment was handled by PackAir and DHL, who are experienced international shippers. 

They put a metal band around each of my three big shipping cases, with an ID number and corresponding paperwork. My cases were never even opened.

It may of helped that I am a UK citizen and was moving to the UK. They can't examine everyone, and perhaps I wasn't a likely candidate for scrutiny.

Robert

Thanks for all the info Robert, much appreciated. Btw randomly found you on soundrolling, good stuff ;-)

Cheers,

Jesse