The Noisy Drones are Coming... Amazon Prime Air

bobbyguelz

I'm looking forward to the day I can just shoot down an iPad from the sky. 

Ha ha rather like a modern version of game bird shooting with higher rewards, you'd need a pack of trained retriever robots to complement the activity, but maybe not so much if the Amazon drones become fully armed with search and destroy counter measures!......:)

Edited by pindrop

Ha ha rather like a modern version of game bird shooting with higher rewards, you'd need a pack of trained retriever robots to complement the activity, but maybe not so much if the Amazon drones become fully armed with search and destroy counter measures!......:)

highly doubtful since they aren't the law. =)

Over here is the UK you have to pass all sorts of tests set by the Civil Aviation Authority and obtain and pay for a licence to operate a drone legally. Needless to say fewer and fewer people are bothering about all that. Rather like when CB radio became very popular here in the '80s - the vast majority of users couldn't give  a stuff about passing the test and buying the licence and it quickly became obvious that the authorities hadn't got a hope in hell of controlling it. With drones infringing air space around airports I wonder what is going to happen after the inevitable accident occurs. Perhaps a total ban? Could it be enforced?

9 hours ago, johnpaul215 said:

It's currently a felony "to interfere with an aircraft", and as of now they are considered "aircraft". So bringing it down in any way would qualify as that. My understanding is that people have been charged with that. 

it's only a felony if you're caught. If I see one of those flying over my house it's going down. 

The real question is what frequency will these drones be running on? As of now most drones are on 2.4gHz and others on 5. 

I would also suspect that they would interfere with birds and flying insects, which yet again is another way humans are F'n up this planet in the name of commerce. 

As far as I know, all current hobby UAVs are 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz, but the range of these Amazon drones implies something else. Those "anti-drone guns" just cause them to lose data connection to the controller. I have a DJI Phantom 3, and if that happens it can't be "remotely brought down". If I throw the controller in a swimming pool, or turned it off, the quadcopter would go to a preset height and return to the "home" location (where it took off from). presumably the authorities could follow it and find the owner. 

With the Amazon ones, the course would be set before they leave the warehouse, but maybe cellular/LTE in case they need to recall them or change course. Maybe a control tower could talk to them enough to keep up communications. That few mile range is questionable. These things are big, so I wonder how how viable it is for this. That tech is being used to take things like meds to remote places, and that's incredible. 

Customers need a big landing area in order to even get "drone" deliveries. I can't remember the exact amount of open square footage, but it wouldn't even be an option for those in apartment buildings, townhouses, or homes with small yards. That rules out a lot of the San Fernando Valley.