Some more CL producers..

Richard Ragon

These bozos likely went off the reservation. Many film schools have strict policies concerning prop firearms in school-sanctioned films.

E.g., here is NYFA's policy (paragraph 7).

Plus, I don't think Moorpark College qualifies as a "diploma mill". It is part of California's Community College system, and is a reputable school.

I know a few film students who've been through local programs, and I've always been told they have to get permission, permits, and insurance for their little production. The truth is that official LA Film permits for students are not that expensive in most areas, but there's no bloody way they'd let them pull out weapons on a freeway. These kids were brazen and arrogant beyond belief to think they could get away with that.

So did a clueless instructor say "Go ahead, make a guerrilla movie and ask permission later"? If so, the instructor and school should be sanctioned.

Or did the instructor tell these kids about permits (and public safety, and respecting your location) but they went rogue... in which case, they should be expelled.

Sound department blows it again. :mellow: And Moorpark appears to not really be culpable...  

From the Ventura County Star:

=====

Candice Larson, a faculty member at Moorpark College's Film Television and Media program, said neither of the students are registered in a film production class at the school this semester.

"One of them is in an audio production class" she said, adding if the students were making a film as part of a college project they very likely would have been enrolled in a film production class this semester, "something that again is not the case."

Larson also said the program has a strict no-gun policy, meaning guns are not used in any film scripts that are written by students or others at the college.

Before shooting a film, students must also get proper permitting, "something that does not appear to have been done here," she said.

"We require that they get permits both so that everyone can know what's going on and because dealing with red tape is something they need to learn how to do," she said.

=====

Rest of the article (which covers stuff in the LA Times story above):

http://www.vcstar.com/news/local/conejo-valley/2-arrested-for-standing-over-highway-101-with-fake-weapons-25c54ea5-47f1-49bc-e053-0100007ff6ee-358870451.html

23 hours ago, Jim Feeley said:

neither of the students are registered in a film production class at the school this semester

Justifying this thread's title: NOT having any film training seems to be a requirement for CL producers  ; )

(Of course, her weasel is 'this semester'... Did these kids take a film class last term, and if so, were they exposed to permitting and the no-guns policy?)

I dont think a school should be held accountable if some of their students or former students took it upon themselves to do things their own way despite the rules set by the school. This is an outside project. My audio school shouldn't be held accountable if I dont wrap a cable over-under despite what they taught me lol. 

My audio school shouldn't be held accountable if I dont wrap a cable over-under

Possibly not. Though it's likely that a cable-killer's boss would think twice before hiring another from that school...

But how about if a few of the audio school's current students decide to do live sound for a low-budget festival, make major mistakes doing the rigging themselves, and somebody gets hurt when a speaker array comes down? Chances are pretty good the victim's lawyers would be making a case, in court, that the school is partially responsible.

(Would the victim win? Who knows? Depends on who's got the better lawyers...)