PR: Lectrosonics Introduces the IFB-VHF Wireless System

Jim Feeley

I suspect it may be a simple programming issue to make these compatible with the UK Frequencies - we are still in the process of getting the EU approvals so patience please.   But once approvals are in hand, we can set it up so the UK dealers can program them so that the switches would give you the UK frequencies. Everything below 216.00MHz.  

Regarding making the deviations different between countries, that unfortunately is not as easy as it sounds.   It's not hard technically - that IS easy - but it is a regulatory issue.  We cannot (as in are not allowed) to have multiple user switchable deviations. Because one deviation or another would be illegal in one jurisdiction or another, their PTT offices will never allow the approvals required to import into that country.  So, in order to be approved for the UK, it cannot be user switchable for US deviation - we would never get the approvals.  Not our choice, we would love to make it all much easier.   Unfortunately, pushing for unity in the specifications allowed generally pushes the regulations to the lowest common denominator, not the best.

A dealer here in the US just tested the VHF IFB with the Phonak in-ears.  They are saying the results were very good and that they walked very well and "sounded great".  Stay tuned!

Gordon

• 5 months later...
On 3 December 2015 at 9:49 PM, Peter Mega said:

As cool as this new system is, I'm a bit disappointed the new receivers are more or less the same as the existing ones. 

I would've loved to have seen a completely newly designed receiver that had a screen and presets for storing more channels (like at least 10) that could even be labeled. 

An indented knob for changing channels and a push down and turn for volume or visa versa. 

The current method of storing more channels to the next open channel is cumbersome and at times frustrating. 

Lectro is welcome to use these ideas for the next IFB receiver. 

Dont get me wrong though, I love my R1a's, I just feel they need an update.

Thanks and regards 

Peter Mega 

Hi 

Quoting myself here because I want to add some features to the ones above for my suggestion to Lectro for the next generation IFB receiver which I hope will be a reality sooner rather than later. 

More preset channels like 50 would be good. (I said 10 above but the more the better). This is so we could tune in talent radio mics for discreet monitoring for the producers wearing the IFB receiver. The shows I do regularly have up to 30 radio mics and sometimes 10-12 sound recordists.

The IFB receiver would be native 400 mode (can also do other modes, including current IFB mode) so could do the above and also receive a transmitter from each sound recordist who has a 400 mode tx in their bag transmitting a mix. 

The preset channels can be labeled with sound guys name or number so producer can select who ever they want to listen to along with the talent mic channels labeled with talent names for discreet monitoring of mics. The unused presets can be hidden so producer doesn't have to scroll through unused presets. Only the labeled presets are "visible" 

Easy to read screen on top.

Lock out of deep menu settings so producers can't change settings and only have access to headphone volume and preset channel select.

A way of programming multiple receivers with a cable from a smart phone app so can set up different shows/names/presets.

Receiver would be as wide band as possibly, say block 19 to 26. 

Should be no bigger than current R1a.

Battery could be AA, need to think more on this, ideas?

A UM400a type clip, like the optional belt clip that's available for the current R1a. The current pouch doesn't last and the clip on the current pouch gets loose and eventually tears off the pouch. A UM400a type clip mounted on the receiver with a pouch around that would be better.

Anything else anyone can think of, please add your thoughts  

To the fanatics at  Lectro, I give you the IFB R2. Please make it soon!!

Thanks

Peter Mega

Peter,  these are great ideas but the biggest problem is the requirement for 400 mode on the receiver. That pulls the receiver out of the analog realm into the digital hybrid realm (or full digital) and costs will soar.  Most of the other requirements aren't so bad  (AA batteries, more channels, etc).  But making it a digital hybrid unit (and adding a  screen) would run the cost up considerably - We already kind of have what you have described - the LR receiver is just about what you specify here - just change the audio output jack to a headphone jack with a amplifier circuit, move the display to the top.  All the features you describe (with just some minor variations on location or programming issues) are in the LR.  My point is that the IFB you just described will cost just about the same as the LR.  We price our products based on the costs of manufacturing and materials. We can certainly build this - but at that price ($1189), would anyone buy it?

• 3 years later...
On 5/20/2016 at 7:03 AM, Peter Mega said:

Hi 

Quoting myself here because I want to add some features to the ones above for my suggestion to Lectro for the next generation IFB receiver which I hope will be a reality sooner rather than later. 

More preset channels like 50 would be good. (I said 10 above but the more the better). This is so we could tune in talent radio mics for discreet monitoring for the producers wearing the IFB receiver. The shows I do regularly have up to 30 radio mics and sometimes 10-12 sound recordists.

The IFB receiver would be native 400 mode (can also do other modes, including current IFB mode) so could do the above and also receive a transmitter from each sound recordist who has a 400 mode tx in their bag transmitting a mix. 

The preset channels can be labeled with sound guys name or number so producer can select who ever they want to listen to along with the talent mic channels labeled with talent names for discreet monitoring of mics. The unused presets can be hidden so producer doesn't have to scroll through unused presets. Only the labeled presets are "visible" 

Easy to read screen on top.

Lock out of deep menu settings so producers can't change settings and only have access to headphone volume and preset channel select.

A way of programming multiple receivers with a cable from a smart phone app so can set up different shows/names/presets.

Receiver would be as wide band as possibly, say block 19 to 26. 

Should be no bigger than current R1a.

Battery could be AA, need to think more on this, ideas?

A UM400a type clip, like the optional belt clip that's available for the current R1a. The current pouch doesn't last and the clip on the current pouch gets loose and eventually tears off the pouch. A UM400a type clip mounted on the receiver with a pouch around that would be better.

Thanks

Peter Mega

Peter- just researching some VHF stuff after Lectro's R1b recent announcement.  Wondering if you have upgraded your IFB situation since your post a few years back?  If so, which direction did you go?

On 3/18/2020 at 5:58 AM, tincali said:

Peter- just researching some VHF stuff after Lectro's R1b recent announcement.  Wondering if you have upgraded your IFB situation since your post a few years back?  If so, which direction did you go?

Hi

Im still using my R1a. The new R1b is cool

but doesn’t really do what I want so I doubt I’ll buy any time soon. Will make do with what I’ve got. 
Good luck

Cheers 

On 5/20/2016 at 10:03 PM, Peter Mega said:

If we are blue-sky dreaming of the ideal A2 or Reality Producer monitoring device - I'd add optional bluetooth pairing to a phone / tablet app with nameable touch buttons (similar to Wavetool or Nemesis Insight) to change the preset easier. Same app could be used for device setting cloning as you mention.

• 11 months later...

Haven't found almost none user experiences with this model. Is there a why ? Why is not so used as UHF version? I saw many complaints on this thread's first comments related to the output power and even @LarryF wrote that "Range is not quite as good as UHF"... so now Im intrigued.

If the law of physics states that "power density is proportional to the inverse square of the distance".... wouldn't 250mW in 470MHz  and 50mW around 200MHz behaves almost the same ? What am I missing ?

Edited by Tales Manfrinato
I've post the same thing twice.