Brahma Ambisonic microphone: first experience

lamacchiacosta

Hello,

after a bit of testing, doing and undoing, I finally found my way to use the Brahma and a workflow with it. I am quite happy with it and is always with me when travelling.
Please read my experience in my paper about this microphone here:

http://www.ecsound.net/pages/projects/tech_notes/engnotes.html

Any feed back is welcome. Please keep in mind that english is not my first language, so I am sure that some of the reading will be hilarious for that. Again, feedbacks are welcome.
Thanks.

Great read, and I really like the mic mod! I too have found that the suspension system leaves a lot to be desired, and the distro box XLR pigtails are much too short and cannot be swapped making it extremely awkward to mount. And forget trying to record anything while on the move or in windy conditions because the slightest vibration carries through to the mic.

For my setup, I added 2 USB Dual Pre's to create a 4 channel mic-line pre-amp that breaks out into two TA5f. This allows me to power the capsules, independently set levels, and send them to Nomad returns 1-4. I then set up a single analog fader to control all 4 returns.

I fit the Brahma breakout box into a Petrol pouch and bongo tied it all together so that the bag on my cart can support all the weight. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but it works.

I question whether EQ'ing prior to running the A Format through X Volver would affect your results. Each mic has its own frequency response and the filter matrix is uniquely tuned to each Brahma. Either way, it's quite a bit of work to get something usable but it's a powerful tool in the right hands.

IMAG0476.jpg

I double checked with the gurus and EQing before X-volver won't affect the conversion. They told me that using a recorder with the facility to preamp the 4 channels with just a knob (SD 788T for instance) is quite critical and is a must. Ambisonic mess up once the difference between the recorder tracks is just 0.5dB.