How well will this kit function? What's missing?

janjan

If i may ad an advice:

A coiled boom cable with a smalljumper in the bag side + Internally cabled boompole + straight headphone cable (like on the hd25's) will make things nice, fast and out of the way.

oh and if you get a snake, get a quick release connector on each side and right angled xlr connectors.

last thing you want to do is to get in your own way by getting tangled.

good point by tom about becomming OCD. Equipment just always have to be at the right place.

good luck!

On 14 December 2015 at 7:36 PM, johngooch said:

Do not underestimate the value of backup gear.  Costly yes- but can also be invaluable.   Maybe a SD 302 or 552- many used ones out there. 

I'd intended to join in a few days ago and say just this - assuming you're going to be away from 'hire civilisation' for big chunks of time. Such that at least one 416 - one new and one secondhand? - the most bulletproof mic out there; one or two wired lav mics; a couple of lengths of cable that will withstand extreme frost ... And less than the 302 even I was going to suggest a used mix pre or mp2 - just a solid analogue can't-go-wrong preamp into camera (and a backup hop to a flash recorder). Even the single channel SD mic pre would be a good BU except you are looking to do stereo or MS where possible.

Aside from that, with MS or even LR stereo intended I'd be looking to have a solid yet lightweight mic stand: I don't know of anything that already exists, but perhaps Gitzo or Manfrotto do something suitable. You'll prob want something far lighter than the 'standard' light stand plus boom arm attachment (with sandbags) used for interview setups: your task is to keep the stereo image stable rather than squeeze a mic into an awkward position. But you might end up having to construct something yourself: both the new 'micro' poles by rode look an interesting starting point for lightweight vertical stands if you found something light but fairly solid as a tripod base (and you could always use snow or rocks as ballast using elastic or netting).

As well as Mike's seat, a foldable or roll of (silent) waterproof sports matting either for your own bum or equipment, whichever is more valuable at any particular moment. And search the archives here and Ramps for excellent advice on all things snow and ice with equipment, clothing and staying alive.

Jez

cheap backup rig: a shure fp11 mic to line amplifier and a denecke phantom power supply. you'll have your boom mic working and it will output to the camera. you won't be able to see a meter or monitor perfectly but you'll be up and running quickly.

if there is a portable monitor that is displaying camera audio meter levels, make it yours!!

you'll want to hear camera return so a long 3.5mm cable and a connector to attach your headphones would be in this backup kit as well.

want to control headphone level? a shure fp 12 or fp 22 headphone amp and more cables/connectors. all these shure items can be found cheap on ebay.