What 9 volt rechargeables do you use? Li-ion or Nimh?

PedroAdamastor

Hi, im planning to buy 2 ART MyMonitor (personal headphone monitor mixer) for my boom operators (so they can hear their boom without having to send them audio from the Sound Devices 664) (cant afford the Sound Devices MM-1 or Rolls PM55P now).
I will need to buy some 9v batteries and charger.
Should i go 
Lithium Ion or Nickel-Metal Hydride? Never used Li ion rechargeable batts, whats the pros and cons?
Which ones you use and recommend?
I live in Europe, so it would be great to know a european store that has them.

Thanks
Pedro Adamastor

to answer your question - it depends. I generally go with Lithium but i believe the nickel would do better in colder environments. lithium would be lighter.

this is an interesting alternative to using an mm1 or duplex. Running the signal through this before it gets to your 664 (or what ever recorder you're using) does it affect the signal at all since it's running through another system/amp? 

or is it a passive loop through - like i the rolls is?

..in which case it would be like connecting it to another xlr in the middle.  

i imagine you could also use this as a phantom power box too..

1 hour ago, Shastapete said:

Side note: look at the Rolls PM50s, I have one and it works well. No noticeable issues from putting it inline with a boom mic, $45 each

Thanks Peter, but the Rolls PM50s dont run on batteries, just with power adapter right?
The PM55P has batteries but is 2x the price of the ART.
But im still looking for more information before i buy them.
By the way what 9v batts you use? And charger?
Thanks for the help.

Thanks for you post Zach.
I havent bought it yet, but i read this from a buyer review:
"I bought this device for a non-standard use, and it works very well. I record sound on location for a local tv show. My boom operator (when I use one) needs to be able to hear what's coming thru the boom mic. The MyMONITOR fills the need very well. The boom mic plugs into the input of the unit and another XLR cable runs to my mixer/recorder. The operator plugs in a set of headphones (there are two jacks), and we're off to the races. The unit passes phantom power to the mic with no issue."
I believe the XLR Mic Thru will not change the sound that goes from the mic to the mixer, but havent tested it yet.

15 hours ago, PedroAdamastor said:

Thanks Peter, but the Rolls PM50s dont run on batteries, just with power adapter right?
The PM55P has batteries but is 2x the price of the ART.
But im still looking for more information before i buy them.
By the way what 9v batts you use? And charger?
Thanks for the help.

runs on a single 9volt

I don't have much on 9v. But I have this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EQ3U2AA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

no complaints

hi Pedro,

I am using 520 mAh iPowerUS 9V rechargables (LiPO) for all my 9V needs. they outperform regular Alkalines by far, they are lightwight, charge quickly (like 1,5 hs max recharging time) and have a useful lifespan of more than two years (about 100 charges per year)

My local dealer here in Austria has them in stock, about 25 € each, add another 35,- for the charger maybe. It should be the decicated 4 bay iPower charger.

The NiMh 9 Volts are typically 100 mAh or so but some are as low as 7.2 Volts in use. Others can be 8.4 Volts (good) or 9.6 Volts (little high for some gear, particularly fresh off a charger at 11.2 Volts). Like all NiMh, they drop in voltage suddenly with little warning from the battery monitor in your gear. Since they are made of button cells with little overcharge tolerance, they typically don't last very long in active use. If you can tell I don't like NiMh 9 Volts, you are dead on the money. Also, there are some real crappy Chinese cheapos from fly by early afternoon companies with exaggerated capacity claims and marginal cells.

As others have suggested, the LiIon 9 Volts from iPower and others are a much better choice. People have been using them for many years with generally good results. make sure you use a matching charger from the same company that provided the batteries. My advice, go with the iPowers, batteries and chargers.

Best,
Larry F

• 3 years later...

[This thread is still helpful, so I'm bringing it back to life]

I still have a few things powered by 9V batts. A few older Lectro TX, and some RX (the RX are usually powered by a BDS, but once in a long while they're off a couple 9Vs). And after a long life, my iPowers are fading away. So I'm looking for some new rechargables. 

Should I just get some more iPower LiPos? 

And for disposables, are the best choices still Duracell Procell for alkaline and Energizer Ultimate or UltraLife for lithium?

Something else a better choice?

Thanks!