Very Long Gun Microphone

Nick Flowers

Well, of course if I had any pictures I would have posted them. But the brief description in the original post must suffice. For those of us who can make a mental picture from a verbal description I will try to sum it up from the brief views I had on the TV screen. About 4 or 5 feet long, operated over the shoulder and pointed at a distant speaker. 

Yes, I remember them.  They were as you say and "sighted" along the top tube.  They were a kind of desperate measure and didn't sound very good, as I recall.  In  addition to the reporter asking the question you'd hear lots of paper shuffling, camera clicks and murmer of other speakers at nearly the same level as the speaker.  If the speaker was near the front they worked better, of course, but speakers in the back were just noise--the anchors would have to repeat the question (if they understood it).

I remember some years ago seeing one of these on ebay.  I sure wish I had bought it.  Probably would have looked great on my wall sitting in a gun rack (although I suspect my wife might have felt differently).  Definitely a real good discussion piece. 

Shortly after seeing the unit for sale on ebay I called EV and asked about it.  Apparently the outer "sleeve" (windscreen) was made of a similar material to the foam windscreens we use today.  As a result you can be quite assured NONE of them would have survived.  They just deteriorated over the years.

Tom

Early 1960s: The EV 643 “monster mic” is introduced. Six feet long, it is highly successful in picking up distant sounds and becomes a standard at presidential press conferences, political conventions and athletic events where conventional mics can’t handle the distance problem.

EV643Shotgun

The EV 643, a shotgun mic measuring 6 feet long.

In the USA various EV shotguns were used for all sorts of work up into the 1970s.  The one the guy has in the video is missing its foam outer sleeve, which is probably not avail from EV any more.  All the EV shotguns I used or saw in those days were dynamic mics, and pretty noisy by today's standards.

Damn! Okay then, another question: I quickly snapped a few pictures on a job recently where this one was used as a prop. I plugged it in to see if it did anything at all, but I assume it needed a power supply and/or was long dead.

It had a series of aluminum tubes, all banded together, of decreasing lengths, in a spiral to the bottom, where it felt 'weighty', and had a short crusty old XLRM coming out of the tail of it. It felt like it was about three to four pounds, and looks a bit like a Gatling gun.

I never saw anything like it. Does anyone recognize this mic, or know anything about it?

Rachel

IMG_2803.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg

IMG_2807.JPG

I have read about these, Rachel, but I have never seen one in real life. Those tubes do the same job as the slots in the tube of the sort of the shotgun mics we use now. In other words the pressure waves from your audio source enter the tubes and combine at the diaphragm. Those arriving from straight ahead are in phase with each other and those from an off axis source begin to get out of phase as the angle increases. The slots in our present gun mics do the same thing except that the slots allow the pressure waves into the one tube.

I started in the business in the early 1960s and Sennheiser, AKG and Electro Voice gun mics were well established then, so these Gatling guns things must have been out of date at the latest in the 1950s, I would have thought.

I speak out of ignorance here, and under the correction of anyone who knows better, but I would have thought that the mic you show would have been a dynamic microphone and would not have needed a power supply. Although Germany used Neumann condenser mics during the Second World War I don't think that they really caught on for film use until Sennheiser brought out the 804.

PS I've just seen some information that suggests that condenser mics were in use in the USA before they were popular in the UK.

PS. I have been looking with more concentration at your photos, Rachel, and on reflection the microphone has a rather home made look to it. I wonder if it was reconstructed at some point, or even botched up from scratch? Those tubes just don't look quite right.

PPS. I found this:  In 1937 WE introduced the D-99098 tubular directional element,which converted the 618A omnidirectional unit into a "shotgun" or "rifle" microphone.This design was used for long-distance pickups.

I snipped that from here: 

http://users.belgacom.net/gc391665/microphone_history.htm

And there is this

http://www.moosenose.com/MachineGunMic/MachineGunMic.htm

On 13 December 2015 at 4:09 AM, TomBoisseau said:

I think you might be refering to the Electrovoice 643.

electro_voice_model_6431.jpeg

I've just requested my demonstration. They're coming round after lunch on Christmas Eve if anyone wants to attend. And yes, there WILL be a Super Softie available by BVE.

Jez

4 hours ago, Nick Flowers said:

PS. I have been looking with more concentration at your photos, Rachel, and on reflection the microphone has a rather home made look to it. I wonder if it was reconstructed at some point, or even botched up from scratch? Those tubes just don't look quite right.

Quite honestly, the 'mic' looked so crude, it could be home made. The aluminum tubes looked like they could have been repurposed from old TV/RF/FM antennas we used in the U.S. ~ referring to those 'fishbone' styled ones people used to put outside their homes, some ten feet up or so on a mast (I still use one, as I seldom watch tv, so I've my flatscreen wired to it for broadcast). And come to think of it, the tubes were roughly the same diameter, too. 

Also, the black bands looked like old fabric friction tape, even though I noticed no characteristic loss of adhesive or gooey-ness happening on the bands, as usually does with old friction tape, whether the fabric kind or the plastic kind. Interesting. 

4 hours ago, Michael Manzke said:

Colin Hart built one of these some time ago. At the end of his article you'll find a pdf with some more in depth information:
http://hartfx.net/newtest/2010/03/131/

And the finished mic with some recordings:
http://hartfx.net/newtest/2010/03/how-my-sound-snooper-turned-out/

Thank you, Michael. I had to clip and repost the advert here.

Patty Hearst would have been envious. 

D-99098.jpg

D-99098.2.jpg

• 3 months later...