searching for potentiometer Knobs

rosa

I am fixing an old 12 channel mixer and looking for new knobs. They are for 1/4" d shaft potentiometers, but the ones I have found don't have the indicator position I need for the way the potentiometer is installed.  I have also considered ones that have a set screw that would work with the d shaft, but they also have the screw oposite the indicator, and I would need it to be on the side or 90 degrees from the indicator.

Any ideas as to where or how to search for these I would appreciate,

Thanks,

Rodrigo

On December 14, 2015 at 10:51 PM, soundtrane said:

i guess some photos of the old knobs will help, and any inscription on them will lead the way. which mixer is it? 

the one on the left is from the mixer, the one on the right is from my mix pre d. both have the 1/4" D shape and placed in D position, but the one on the right is like the ones I have seen being sold. Its a 1977 Studiomaster 12 into 2 mixer. thanks.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Way way way back when I worked for a well-known maker of audio equipment (I don't want to drop names, and I was just a do-what-needed-to-be done kid), we used to make our own knobs with set screws. We had a totally cool lathe and a guy who knew how to set it up so even I could run it...and the knobs looked cool and worked great! So worst case, find a local machinist?

But googling "custom potentiometer knobs" generates useful results... Usual suspects like Mouser and Mammoth and a bunch of others...

On December 18, 2015 at 3:26 PM, Rick Reineke said:

The knobs from Capi-gear.com have set screws and different color cap options

they look great but too expensive for this project.  I also assume the set screws have to be in a specific position to work with D shaft rather than a round shaft?

thanks for all the suggestions. 

• 3 months later...

I know I am way late on this but just in case anyone else has the same issue, that style of knob was used on a lot of DOD, and Rane audio gear and has an insert, that insert cap can be lined up any way you need independently from the shaft position, I had a whole bag of those around 12 years ago. The knob on the right looks like the same one used on My MixPre which I believe you can't change the position on.

Just in case anyone still needs the exact knobs mentioned in this post that are used by many audio companies, and maybe hard to find locally, please check my link.

http://www.ehcknobs.com/index.php?id=KC

4 hours ago, sfxdude said:

I know I am way late on this but just in case anyone else has the same issue, that style of knob was used on a lot of DOD, and Rane audio gear and has an insert, that insert cap can be lined up any way you need independently from the shaft position, I had a whole bag of those around 12 years ago. The knob on the right looks like the same one used on My MixPre which I believe you can't change the position on.

Just in case anyone still needs the exact knobs mentioned in this post that are used by many audio companies, and maybe hard to find locally, please check my link.

http://www.ehcknobs.com/index.php?id=KC

sfxdude, you are great!  I've been trying to find these for a couple of years. Many thanks!

Another great place for all things hardware like knobs is McMaster-Carr. Also good for the rubber edging used on cart shelves, drawer handles, locking hasps, etc.

Best regards,

Jim

Edited by Jim Gilchrist
damaged hand, so many typos, sorry for the inconvenience if you've found one I haven't caught

3 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

Here at NAB I just bought a 4D printer.  It turned out not to be as useful as expected. As soon as the item finishes printing, it's transported into an unknown dimension.

And, if the song "Age of Aquarius" suddenly starts playing -

May be a sign to back off on tweaking the pot.?