Multi-coupler and Muti- receiver RF design.

glenn

There are different methods of filtering for a receiver that is designed to receive multiple transmitters.  Zaxcom uses a very different approach than that of other manufacturers.  The approach centers on the use of a very practical front end filter that will eliminate the problems of a wide open front end that can be unexpectedly overloaded on location.

The biggest problem by far for a UHF wireless system on location is the use of UHF 450MHz to 512 MHz walkies on set. Interference from these devices on set can be 1000s of times more powerful than any interfering television transmitter and more powerful than other wireless microphones on set.  Just key up a 4 watt walkie near your wide band wireless receiver to see and hear the effect on a wide band system. Weaker wireless microphones can be completely wiped out by this type of common interference.

In a Zaxcom wide band UHF receiver the front end tunes from 512MHZ to 700MHz. The front end is limited to a instantaneous range of +/- 17.5 MHz from the center frequency. In this way walkies are eliminated from presenting meaningful interference to the receivers in the system. Because the front end filter can tune over 200 MHz, it makes for a more flexible system where all receiver channels connected to the front end can tune as a group over the entire wide band range without limitation.

The front end of a receiver that includes the multi-coupler must not be wide band in order to get the best performance of the system. If it gets overloaded it can create interference and RF distortion for all receivers connected to it. It is just like using a bad microphone with a great preamp. No matter how good the preamp is it will never perform better than the bad mic that is the front end of the microphone preamp. It is the same for an RF system.

With the Zaxcom tunable wide band design, the possibility of front end overload by walkies and anything outside the 35MHz tuning window  has been eliminated in the receiver. Because the transmitter intermodulation generation is negligible, no frequency coordination software is necessary with this system.

In conclusion a receiver is only as good as its weakest point. Eliminate overload by high power walkies ,  frequency coordination with separate software programs and tune the entire 512 to 700 MHz range currently available in all US cities. These are the benefits that will make the Zaxcom receiver design work without worry of unexpected interference problems for a better on location wireless experience.

Glenn Sanders

President Zaxcom Inc.

6 hours ago, Siddho said:

its called advertising!

but the info is of interest non-the-less.

I think it is more than advertising, when I read it I felt that it was a lot of good information and education for us all regarding the challenges of wireless design. Glenn may have also been helping to broaden our understanding that not all wireless handle these issues in the same manner. Larry had made a really good informative post in another thread (on the same subject of wideband multi-couplers and filtering) and I think Glenn wanted people to know, again, informational and educational, that the way Lectrosonics handles these things is not the only way. The Zaxcom approach is quite different than the methods Larry describes, and I think Glenn thought it was important for all the wireless users to know this. Advertising? Well, yes, of course, but no more than Larry's post that addresses the problem and let's us know how Lectrosonics deals with it.

Jeff wrote: 
<snip>  Advertising? Well, yes, of course, but no more than Larry's post that addresses the problem and let's us know how Lectrosonics deals with it.<snip>

Hi  Jeff,
I responded to a direct question asking about where the filtering was in the Venue receiver and the downsides of wideband design. I gave technical reasons for design choices and compromises. I never mentioned other manufacturers or our superiority of design differences.

I think   "Advertising? Well, yes, of course, but no more than Larry's post..." paints me with much too broad a brush.  

Best Regards,
Larry Fisher

2 hours ago, VAS said:

It's good to know the different principal designs from different manufacturers. If it's advertising or not; not interested so much. Those "white papers" must be on websites from manufacturers.

We have , in fact, posted a detailed white paper on wide band design on our site specific to the our designs.

http://www.lectrosonics.com/Support/Wireless/wideband-receiver-design.html

We try to stick to the facts - "just the facts, ma'am"

Gordon 

50 minutes ago, LarryF said:

Hi  Jeff,
I responded to a direct question asking about where the filtering was in the Venue receiver and the downsides of wideband design. I gave technical reasons for design choices and compromises. I never mentioned other manufacturers or our superiority of design differences.

I think   "Advertising? Well, yes, of course, but no more than Larry's post..." paints me with much too broad a brush.  

Best Regards,
Larry Fisher

I really wasn't trying to paint either you or Glenn with too broad (or mis-directed) brush --- merely trying to answer one person's question about Glenn's post. I personally welcomed BOTH of the posts, yours first with very clear explanation of the challenges of wideband receivers (specifically in the Venue 2) and Lectrosonics' approach, then later Glenn's post that wanted to clarify that the way Lectro deals with this is different than the way Zaxcom deals with it. Neither post, I believe, was meant to take any kind of swipe at either company. What I should have said regarding "advertising" is that it is a word that is usually used when someone wants to accuse a company of promotion and advertising masquerading as "information". I don't think Larry's post OR Glenn's post is guilty of this. When I referred to "advertising" I was using the word in the manner in which I feel it was used (mis-used) in the post I quoted.  I think the reader needs to digest the clear and relevant information given by both Larry and Glenn on this issue so as to be informed regarding the issue of wideband design, filtering and so forth.

We all know how proud Glenn is of his company and engineering feats, so perhaps we hear his "voice" when reading his text, but come on... the guy never mentioned a competitor, listed some real world problems, and how his company approaches it from an engineering standpoint.  I don't think he deserves to be nagged about subtext or hidden agenda.  He's a member in good standing on the board, and wrote an astute abstract on a wireless related concern.  If any CEO / company-man wants to join the group and voice their opinions, I welcome it, don't care if its self serving about their equipment and company.  I'd rather have this transparent line of communication to the source, rather than decoding marketing department speak and more labyrinth-like corporate feedback channels.  I use both wireless systems and like to know the logic behind the design choices that my gear manufacturers make.  I grab Zaxcom when I want utmost sound quality.  I grab Lectrosonics when I need un-compromised range and reliability.  That being said, you cannot say that I said "Lectro sounds bad" or "Zax has short range".  I know what I know from personal experience and appreciate having the luxury of owning gear that works so well.

P.S. How's retirement treating you Larry?

P.P.S. it would make me happier if Zaxcom just embraced slot-in or even "super-slot" standards, assuming all parties could come to agreement and make it happen legally.  Sound mixers loose when companies get bogged down IP claims.  FWIW I will no longer buy a wireless receiver that is not slot-in or an (smaller/lighter) RX-12 type concept from here on out.  Ultimately an RX/Venue style box is superior, as all DC and RF distro is internalized and can be executed however each manufacturer feels best for their components from a systems perspective.  Modularity used to be important to me, but no longer.

On 20. Dezember 2015 at 4:24 PM, glenn said:

These are the benefits that will make the Zaxcom receiver design work without worry of unexpected interference problems for a better on location wireless experience.

Glenn Sanders

President Zaxcom Inc. 

Maybe it was no ad. But ads tend to exaggerate the truth. And Glenn's post did too. The above phrase demonstrates that perfectly. With wireless there will always be unexpexted interference. 

1 hour ago, Tom Visser said:

Good the hear from you Larry... If your looking for a retirement project, I'd love to see an iPhone case that accepts a Lectro BATTSLED so I can power my phone off of L-batteries and have TA3 audio outputs.  I'd buy at least one.  (don't forget the beer bottle opener)

Or the patented combination electric corkscrew.
Larry F

21 minutes ago, Constantin said:

<snip>   With wireless there will always be unexpected interference. 

Nothing, but nothing beats a hunk of wire.
LEF

I hate it when mommy and daddy fight.

Thank you to all the manufacturers who design and build awesome tools that we use on a daily basis -- Whether they emerge from a camp of more forward thinking or from a harbor of more thorough engineering.

Remember... life would be so boring without different personalities -- and the choices they bring us.

...and please heed the warning:  "...uncontrolled release can cause severe injury to unprotected body parts..."  While it may have been taken from the tag on a recently purchased bungie cord, it has multi applications and careful adherence to its message can serve us well during this joyous season.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!