RF Headphones

chrisyking

Hi does anyone know any RF headphones which can cut it for critical listening, or are they all too compressed to use? I was looking at the Sennheiser RS165, which are closed back. I wanted something for artists to use tracking vocals in a studio, so they need to be zero latency, but also to use for general mixing. Are there any RF or equivalent wireless headphones anyone knows of that are decent enough quality?

Having used the sennheiser rs160 before I would say it's not practical for our purpose. There is a small delay but it is enough to annoy you between the noise from outside and the audio from the hp. Sound quality as well is not what we need it for, these transfer audio at about 44.1khz 24 bit and sound compressed when critical listening. Can't beat a wired set of cans. Comfort is fine but overall build quality isn't as good as our standards 7506, hd25, m50 etc. 

I'm not really sure why you need wireless cans in a studio.

I've got some rs100s I use for client feeds (they work with an evo tx) and don't have any latency. I usually keep them for interior shoots though.

Would expect the sennheiser 2000 and wisycom iem systems with the stereo rack tx would be the higher quality options for feeds, but neither are cheap

Oh, if it's 40ms that's no good for anything musical. It claims 1.9 ms in one of the videos.

Trouble is they all seem to be bluetooth, which means you can only have 1 paring. Also how do you get audio into the bluetooth in the 1st place. These headphones all seem to be designed to work with phones.

I think it is between 32ms - 40ms. what do you mean anything musical?

aptX® Low Latency effectively enables consumers to watch video while listening to wireless audio in a synchronised fashion. 

aptX Low Latency for Bluetooth® offers a total end-to-end latency of approximately 40 milliseconds (ms) – far less than the standard Bluetooth latency of more than 150 ms (+/-50ms), and meeting the 40 ms recommended latency for audio/video applications.  

As a result, the product is ideally suited to wireless audio delivery for video and gaming applications.

1 hour ago, chrisyking said:

Oh, if it's 40ms that's no good for anything musical. It claims 1.9 ms in one of the videos.

Trouble is they all seem to be bluetooth, which means you can only have 1 paring. Also how do you get audio into the bluetooth in the 1st place. These headphones all seem to be designed to work with phones.

32ms is fine . It is like standing 10 meters from the sound source in real life.

If you can find them, the E-MU pipeline TX/RX will transmit uncompressed 16/48 with latency of 5.5ms in paired mode or 10ms in 'broadcast' mode (one to many). I tend not to use them much for production sound due to risk of dropouts when you move, rather limited range and internal batteries which don't last the day.

Headphone amp on them isn't up to much either

Yes Jordan I wanted to use them for tracking vocals in my music studio - I also do a bit of music production as well as the TV stuff. I reckon I'll have to use old fashioned RF. If I track guitars the musicians need to be bang on in time with what they are listening to. Anything over 10ms is a problem. Ideally I dont really want a separate RX. 

1 hour ago, chrisyking said:

Yes Jordan I wanted to use them for tracking vocals in my music studio - I also do a bit of music production as well as the TV stuff. I reckon I'll have to use old fashioned RF. If I track guitars the musicians need to be bang on in time with what they are listening to. Anything over 10ms is a problem. Ideally I dont really want a separate RX. 

Run a cable then.