RIP - Haskell Wexler

Jeff Wexler

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/28/movies/haskell-wexler-oscar-winning-cinematographer-dies-at-93.html

Among his many other honors, Mr. Wexler received an Independent Spirit Award for “Matewan” (1987), about West Virginia coal miners, the first of four films he would shoot for the director John Sayles and the producer Maggie Renzi. In an interview for this obituary, Ms. Renzi recalled trying to hire Mr. Wexler for the film.

“We got back to the Econo Lodge from a long location scout,” she said, “and the lady at the desk said, in her deep West Virginia accent: ‘A fella named Hacksaw Wexler called for you. From a phone in his car. He says, ‘Tell them whatever they want the answer is yes.’”

My condolences - may he Rest In Peace. He was a hero of mine, someone I was aware of from the very beginning of my interest in film. As a professional to begin with, and then I became aware of his work as an activist for humanity, and my respect for him, already sky-high, went even higher. I have seen/heard him speak at several events, and I never worked up the nerve to approach him, and now it is too late, so I can only say how much I admire and appreciate him to everyone else who has gathered here today. What a truly great man!

Haskell was an irascible guy, but really energetic and passionate. I dealt with him on Matewan back in 1987 and again in 2001 on the HBO movie 61*, and the images in both were amazing -- really emotional, dramatic, and the pictures always told the story well. Haskell was also very entertaining in real life; I was part of a crew that interviewed for an ASC Awards show a couple of years ago, and he was very articulate, funny, and entertaining. I really admired him for his work on the "12-on/12-off" campaign, and told him we often suffered the same issues in post: long hours, not enough turnaround, and the danger of driving off the road on the way home. He'll be missed.

Here's a terrific piece in the mainstream press on Haskell in today's Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/oscar-winning-cinematographer-haskell-wexler-dies-at-93_56803566e4b0b958f659a173

I had just poured out a scotch when I saw the NY Times obituary. It is a great portrait of a man dedicated and in love with his calling. A reminder of the real potential our craft has to envelope and and take us to a higher place than just a day's work. Your dad certainly lived it.  Jeff I wish you many good hours as you reflect and measure his place in your life. In some ways my father became more real after his death but I would give a lot to sit down now and then and have a talk. My best wishes to your family and you this evening.

Reid