Impressive DIY

Prahlad Strickland

Not sure about "super high-end." But I dig this sort of thing; thanks Prahlad! Have I shown you the LA2A clone compressor I made a dozen years ago? No? Well consider yourself lucky. :-)

Back to microphones... this site might get some of my money next year (though I'd be happy to be pointed to a better source):

http://microphone-parts.com

Not for work, just for fun...

So who here has built a microphone? Show pix!

14 hours ago, Eric Toline said:

Nonsense. In this case the dialog was more than adequate for the presentation. It has absolutely nothing to do with the results of the quality of the product.

If I'm selling a microphone, why not make the dialogue sound really good, in a nice, quiet, non-reflective room? It doesn't take that much time or talent to do that. There's a ton of otherwise-decent YouTube presentations and tutorial videos that are terribly marred by bad sound, and it makes me sad, knowing that the solution would not have been that much more costly or time-consuming. Most of it boils down to knowledge and experience, not necessarily money.

16 hours ago, Jim Feeley said:

Not sure about "super high-end." But I dig this sort of thing; thanks Prahlad! Have I shown you the LA2A clone compressor I made a dozen years ago? No? Well consider yourself lucky. :-)

Back to microphones... this site might get some of my money next year (though I'd be happy to be pointed to a better source):

http://microphone-parts.com

Not for work, just for fun...

So who here has built a microphone? Show pix!

I Built a DIY U47,  has two euro tubes to equal the same voltages the old tele metal tubes put out,   it was a PTP build, out of my paygrade and skill level, but it sounds absolutely stunning.  I paired it with a handbuilt capsule,  it stands up very proud and strong next to my old M49 and old school U87, different of course, but definately holds up.   I'll grab some pics soon.

Thanks for the link, you probabaly just burnt a big hole in my pocket,  those holes keep life exciting though,  cheers

Prahlad

6 hours ago, Marc Wielage said:

If I'm selling a microphone, why not make the dialogue sound really good, in a nice, quiet, non-reflective room? It doesn't take that much time or talent to do that. There's a ton of otherwise-decent YouTube presentations and tutorial videos that are terribly marred by bad sound, and it makes me sad, knowing that the solution would not have been that much more costly or time-consuming. Most of it boils down to knowledge and experience, not necessarily money.

What kills me, is guitar shops selling boutique amps,  and delivering youtube videos using nothing but the inbuilt DSLR mics...   renders beautiful amps down to static.  I really don't get that,  bad for sales.

I get the impression that for a lot of people involved in music (especially the more 'project studio' end) that there's the impression that "it's *only* speech/video, it doesn't have to be as good" in that it needs to get the message across, rather than be endlessly tweaked with only the finest materials known to man, created by virgins and left under a waterfall for 20 years (or "sciencey" equivalent)...

I've got to admit, before I came into the industry I thought a little bit that way too...