Equipment wishes for 2016

Glen Deakin

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lectrosonics: SRd, digital version of dual channel receiver in DSW System line. SSMd, digital version.

Audio Ltd: 1010 Plug-on transmitter with AES3 and AES42 support. Also, a rack mount 1010 receiver (8 channels).

Sound Devices: Mixing control panel for 970 recorder.

Schoeps: A new version of AES42 digital module for colette series.

Sennheiser: MKH 8030

Sanken: Supercardioid microphone.

I have to wake up, now.

Sound Devices: Mixing control panel for 970 recorder.

Schoeps: A new version of AES42 digital module for colette series.

Mixing panel (incl. Preamps) would be nice, or just a new flagship recorder - for the cart

Schoeps digital ok, but I'm also hoping for DPA to come up with a digital preamp module.

In fact, my ultimate dream would be a Super4061. A DPA4061 lav mic with the Schoeps SuperCMIT's noise suppression capabilities.

Lighter, smaller and better wind protection for mics.

In addition to pre-roll, which we already have of course, I'd like post-roll on my recorder. On my last show there were frequent tail slates, despite having a head slate. They wouldn't announce them until right after "cut" was called, so I'd often miss them. And sometimes I'd miss a regular tail slate, too, so post-roll could help.

Specifically on my 788T (this may be similar on other recorders), I would like the Sound report to be created on all drives which are currently active and have the same folder

- 12-16 fader standalone digital mixer with multiple banks; analog, AES and Dante I/O; DC powering option; compact (less 18" wide to fit in a rackmount case) and light (less than 15lbs!).

- Lectrosonics SR dual-channel wideband receiver with better front end, and both analog and AES output options

- Small, compact 4-channel recorder (4 mic pres), for ambisonics recording. EDIT: With A-format and B-format to stereo decoding for monitoring.

- Smaller version of the RX12 (perhaps 8 channels instead of 12?) utilizing the same modules. It should have antenna powering option, and Dante I/O.

That's all I can think of for now.

I'd like something like half the wisycom rackmount iem tx ('stereo' transmission, aes3 input, switchable compander emulation) in a bag mountable format. And covering 820-865MHz (to cover both Europe-wide bands).

Super Slot distro which can be 'remoted' over a long cable

Also been waiting ages for a sennheiser 8030. Last I heard there were issues mounting the capsule, which they couldn't work around and work on it may have stopped

1 hour ago, Jose Frias said:

- Small, compact 4-channel recorder (4 mic pres), for ambisonics recording.

The aeta 4minx has an option for monitoring for this. Both the old and new Sonosax R4s can do 4 channel linked gain but don't have the decoding capability. Shouldn't be any licensing issues now as the soundfield patents have expired now. A-format-B-format capability to use the mics without the controller box or the sps-200 would be useful too. Expect there may be more of demand for this in future with 360 degree/VR stuff

- Small, compact 4-channel recorder (4 mic pres), for ambisonics recording.

- Smaller version of the RX12 (perhaps 8 channels instead of 12?) utilizing the same modules. It should have antenna powering option, and Dante I/O.

+1

A RX8 with Zaxnet (And zaxmote) and AES out by a multiconnector like the Nomad has, dB15 to dB15 cable for connect all (And the cable included), will be nice

Touch plus Mix8 for Nomad 10 (Both at same time) 

+1 for a small analog-in / dante out mixing panel to suit the SD970. 16 mic/line channel minimum (on 2 layers if necessary), ISOs and mix through to the 970. Maybe the ability to use more than one for larger channel counts. Something significantly lighter and shallower than my 01v96, with 12v powering. I'd buy it in a flash.

7 hours ago, ramallo said:

Touch plus Mix8 for Nomad 10 (Both at same time) 

Serial hub is in the works, but don't think N10 will ever be able to use Touch because it needs the Linux processor in the 12 daughterboard, I think.....

The genie said you could have one wish.......:)

4 hours ago, pindrop said:

Serial hub is in the works, but don't think N10 will ever be able to use Touch because it needs the Linux processor in the 12 daughterboard, I think.....

The genie said you could have one wish.......:)

I think the series connection of Nomand 10 gives more than seems, but it is only my guess.

My wish, a "nice price" actualization from Nomad 10 to 12 and in Europe :-)

16 hours ago, Constantin said:

In addition to pre-roll, which we already have of course, I'd like post-roll on my recorder. On my last show there were frequent tail slates, despite having a head slate. They wouldn't announce them until right after "cut" was called, so I'd often miss them. And sometimes I'd miss a regular tail slate, too, so post-roll could help.

wow, post roll - I can't believe I didn't come up with this idea at some point. Simple and genius. The unannounced tail slates I've missed add up to a decent number...

15 hours ago, Richard Thomas said:

The aeta 4minx has an option for monitoring for this. Both the old and new Sonosax R4s can do 4 channel linked gain but don't have the decoding capability. Shouldn't be any licensing issues now as the soundfield patents have expired now. A-format-B-format capability to use the mics without the controller box or the sps-200 would be useful too. Expect there may be more of demand for this in future with 360 degree/VR stuff

Correct. I should've mentioned that it should be able to decode a-format and b-format to stereo for monitoring. I currently have a Zaxcom Maxx that is able to easily record 4 channels and control gain for all 4 channels with a single fader, but I have no means of monitoring my SPS200 unfortunately. I've requested Zaxcom for this feature on both their forum and FB group, but no one from Zaxcom has responded. I'm sure they're pretty busy with other feature request which I would agree are probably more relevant to the greater needs of the target market.

Additionally, I'm sort of hoping someone will come up with a smaller recorder for ambisonics recording (specifically the SPS200). Something the size of a 744 or smaller would be awesome.

Dweedle tone or other remote control of Wisycom TX.  Waterproof or otherwise heavy duty Wisy TX.  Sound Devices 6 Series wifi control, hopefully soon from Ambient.  Would really love to see Sound Devices recorders with built in ACN.  Backlit Ambient Lockit Slate.  ScriptE and Ambient team up where ScriptE receives TC from Lockit Network and camera and audio metadata. In general, I would like to see more script supervisors going fully digital with integrated networks.

Correct. I should've mentioned that it should be able to decode a-format and b-format to stereo for monitoring. I currently have a Zaxcom Maxx that is able to easily record 4 channels and control gain for all 4 channels with a single fader, but I have no means of monitoring my SPS200 unfortunately. I've requested Zaxcom for this feature on both their forum and FB group, but no one from Zaxcom has responded. I'm sure they're pretty busy with other feature request which I would agree are probably more relevant to the greater needs of the target market.

Additionally, I'm sort of hoping someone will come up with a smaller recorder for ambisonics recording (specifically the SPS200). Something the size of a 744 or smaller would be awesome.

Finally (Tired of waiting) I got a Aeta 4Minx (For outdoor and indoor :-), is bigger than the Maxx, but is very light and have inside a proper battery for work with charger  (NPF). Sounds very good (The best sound I heard in a portable recorder).

I certainly hope the new year brings:

- A greatly improved Nomad Automix 

- Individual transmitter sleep via Nomad

- A wide band Lectrosonics SR w/tracking front end 

- Safe, light weight, longer lasting battery chemistries

- Peace and Harmony for all

I'm speculating that at least two of these will happen within the next four months.

17 hours ago, Richard Thomas said:

I do not think there is any patent about decoding A or B ambisonics, is old (70's). 

A to B

X = 0.5 ((LF – LB) + (RF – RB))
Y = 0.5 ((LF – RB) – (RF – LB))
Z = 0.5 ((LF – LB) + (RB – RF))
W = 0.5 (LF + LB + RF + RB)

20 minutes ago, ramallo said:

Finally (Tired of waiting) I got a Aeta 4Minx (For outdoor and indoor =D ), is bigger than the Maxx, but is very light and have inside a proper battery for work (NPF). Sounds very good (The best sound I heard in a portable recorder).

Is the Aeta 4Minx the only recorder capable of decoding A-format? I'm still hoping that Zaxcom will listen and deliver, but I may end up getting something else down the line if they don't.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 10:34 AM, Tom Visser said:

I'm pretty happy with where I'm at gear wise right now.  8030 would be sweet though.  Smaller Zaxcom RX12 with integrated zaxnet would also be compelling.  Dual channel Lectro TX and 400 mode IFB would also be welcome.

RX8 will be great but has to be totally different design. More like qrx300. 3 qrx200s with an antenna combiner in a common shell.

+1 for post toll and writing sound reports to all media for the 788T. 

-I'd also like to see a 16 input 20 channel 7 series Sound Devices machine. I'd like it to have a mixing panel available, be compatible with CL-Wifi (and allow a hard wired version to the tablet instead of being wireless). Caddy style SSD drive and card reader (with CF, SD, etc. options) slots.

-I'd love to see better options for remoting antennae with lossless options. Rf Venue has an interesting but very expensive option, there really aught to be other ways of doing this. 

-Lectrosonics Venue 1.2 (updated version one venue with old style modules) with aes and dante out. Aso with antenna power jumper settings in the menu or as a button.