Equipment wishes for 2016

Glen Deakin

How about an 8000 series native Tx (Zaxcom, Sony digital, or Lectro digital), powered off of a single AA strictly for narrative work - boom op can keep on top of battery swaps for "ultimate lightweight narrative only Tx on the end of a boompole" type of works.  Seems to me on-board recording, or high Tx power would be unnecessary as I've always observed outstanding wireless reception from a Tx up in the air.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Tom Visser said:

How about an 8000 series native Tx (Zaxcom, Sony digital, or Lectro digital), powered off of a single AA strictly for narrative work - boom op can keep on top of battery swaps for "ultimate lightweight narrative only Tx on the end of a boompole" type of works.  Seems to me on-board recording, or high Tx power would be unnecessary as I've always observed outstanding wireless reception from a Tx up in the air.

Similar to what audio Ltd had for the schoeps capsule I believe. 

5 hours ago, Tom Visser said:

Or even a sennheiser digital tx...

• 4 weeks later...

A real request I really wish SD and Zaxcom would implement in all their recorders/mixers;

An option to mute selected outputs while not recording. Most of the time, I have directors and lots of different people listening to my mix with actors lavs and they could say something stupid or inappropriate.

I don't think it'd be too hard to implement in software, and it could potentially save actors some privacy, and the directors and other people listening some peace. I.e, when we're rolling, the mix is heard just as it should, when not, the ifb is muted. Just as on any cheap handheld tascam or zoom.

6 hours ago, Olle Sjostrom said:

Great! Frankly I didn't really know if this feature existed with any Zaxcom product, I just assumed.

And with the 788 at least you have it too, twice in fact, at least with CL-9. Either you just pull down the faders or you use the mute function to mute select outputs. Don't know if this mute shortcut exists with CL-8, too, or with just the recorder. 

I don't think I have ever met a director who didn't want to have the boom open at all times 

Yes, surely you can mute selected outputs with a button manually. The setup me and my mixer use is that we send the lavs to IFB only, so we can use the boom to communicate and talk a little more privately.

I always pull faders down between takes so that no one except me can listen in to the actors, but I have forgotten from time to time obviously and a few times an actor or someone standing close to an actor has said something and not thought about him her being laved. Not a big thing, but I just think that if the outputs mute automatically between takes, the chances of that person being heard is less.

And on this show, I'm booming. My mixer doesn't pull faders down between takes because.. I dunno. Even though I told her to do it, maybe she thinks it's just too much work. Anyway. If it's a selectable option then I just think it'd be good. I don't think I'm the only one who'd like it and use it

Better playback menu in Nomad.Maybe a +10seconds option  in the scroll menu and access to fp8 pfls would do  the job...I hhate scrolling 5 minutes to get to the end of a 30 minute Recording.Better would be a scrollbar like any mediaplayer has...

auto framerate detect on all transmitters.

Option to copy takes in more than realtime from tx to recorder 

17 hours ago, Olle Sjostrom said:

but I just think that if the outputs mute automatically between takes, the chances of that person being heard is less.

Oh, I am sorry, I didn't realize you meant automatic muting, that's another story, of course

1 minute ago, Wandering Ear said:

Right now it is only available on the ERX, not the TRX series.  I also would like to see this implemented across the TRX line.

Ok maybe that's where I saw it

Both the ERX and RX200 will automatically detect and lock to virtually any standard frame rate.  I echo Kelsey's request that this feature be implemented across all Zaxnet devices, especially the transmitters.  On a feature, it's not that big a deal; but for day-playing, it's a prickly pain in the posterior.

• 3 weeks later...