Putting Lav mics On Suit

Sam Kashefi

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I just did this yesterday and had trouble too. I had two executives on a green screen stage sitting in director chairs simply talking and answering questions. Seems simple enough. But then you need to know that it's cold here in Colorado and that one of the fellows wore a turtle neck sweater with a nice leather suit jacket over the top. No cutting holes in that!

The other guy wore a more traditional business suit with a tie. But he was one of those A-D-D guys that's a mover. So between the heavy coat and sweater combo on one guy and the wiggle worm in the other chair my COS-11's in their RM-11 holders with medical tape lock down didn't stand a chance. I even tried adding a Tram turtle to give a little air gap and space so the jackets didn't press down the mic into the shirt/sweater combo going on.

In the end, I gave up on the body mics and instead busted out two Schoeps CMC6/41s on two boom poles with holders, dialed the mics in and never looked back. The camera guy was totally amazed with the sound. I wasn't. Those mics in the right room/stage sound great.

I wish I could have worked out the lav mics, but I just didn't have the time to keep messing with different holders/clips/geebs. I know I could have gotten them to sound great eventually, but as usual there is no time for sound to do the job after lighting, camera and makeup have used it all up. Oh well, the end product was great and I get to do it all again next week for the second installment.

I think the best thing you can be, when doing sound, is quick and flexible and of course good. ;)

Clear butal may have helped secure and isolate the mic some, but with out the time to try different things, it is hard to say. Your plan B would of been my plan A on a green screen set/shot where you can put the mic in the shot just where you want them. Glad your cameraman could hear the diff, maybe he learned a good lesson.

CrewC

I find the placement of a lav mic in the throat area makes for too much of a bass sound, especially on men. And the guy with the tie (Mr. A-D-D), I don't think anything could have been done with him short of using the allegator clip and pinning it out front like a news anchor. ICK! That was never an option. But I do love doing the news thing from time to time just for that reason.

I actually gave up pretty quickly on the lav thing in favor of the twin Schoeps. Not only did it sound great, but it looked cool too. The other option I had was using one Schoeps with a MK21 head on it, but I don't think it would have been as good of a sound over all. I haven't used that head in years. Maybe a figure of 8 head (which I don't own unfortunatly) might have worked.

I would have gone for the tie knots if possible, you need to have atleast the wire mesh of the cos poking out below the line of the knot...it's a fiddlier rig, and may get you a 'what are you doing boy?' like I did from the Mayor of Vegas to name but one, but hey, you get your mic in, it sounds good, job done. As for green screen, like the man said, boom in shot, its going to be cut out. There's bound to be posts about tie rigs for cos 11s, but if not, one of us can run you through it I'm sure. Sorry if its grandma egg sucking, just trying to cover all bases.

Actually the boom mics never even made the shot. There was enough head room to place the mics nice and close and still be out of the shot all together. And yes, I understand garbage mattes. There was one whole side of the green screen that was being shot off of exposing the triple riser stands holding up the green screen.

I'm actually quite good at hiding mics most of the time. I do it quite often. But I still don't like the mic beingthat close to the throat. Again too much of a bass sound for my ears. This was just a unique situation and a very timely example for me to give to Sam. I was just trying to give another alternative to Sam for his original question.

There is a variation on mike in the knot of the tie theme-

Run the microphone up inside the tie. You will probably have to cut the thread that holds the flaps of the tie closed but this is easily repaired later, resulting in no permanent harm to the tie. Just under the surface fabric of the tie you will encounter a cotton (typically) liner piece. Use a vampire clip or tape to affix the mike to the cotton batting. The single layer of silk will lie on top of the mike but this does not appreciably muffle the sound. However, you will need to use some double stick to lock the surface silk to the batting so it doesn't rub against the mike.

This is actually a better sounding rig than the mike-in-the-knot plan because the mike can be more advantageously positioned a bit lower on the chest. It isn't used that much because it does take a bit longer to accomplish.

David Waelder