Sound Devices 688 external slate mic *low gain?

Jesse Watts

So I'm dialing in my new 688 and have found the gain to be very weak on the ext slate mic in.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have tried a Sennheiser Me2 condenser and a Sure Dynamic lav on max gain (+36) with the same results. 

I get good level at mouth distance but not at my typical 2ft ish for slating.

6 hours ago, RPSharman said:

I have my 664 on full volume using Shure dynamic mic, and I have to lean into it too. I only use the 664 for car work, so it hasn't presented a huge problem, but I would like a bit more umph there too.

Yea I just tested it on my 664 and have a little boost over the 688 but not much. Maybe firmware? It might be a hardware limitation, a silly mistake if that's the case. My 788t has a ton of boost but then again it's routed through a mic pre.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm dialing in my new 688 and have found the gain to be very weak on the ext slate mic in.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have tried a Sennheiser Me2 condenser and a Sure Dynamic lav on max gain (+36) with the same results. 

I get good level at mouth distance but not at my typical 2ft ish for slating.

I love my 688, but yes the external Mic option is terrible IMHO.

I am using the standard 7506 with Shure mic and have tested it with other mics to diagnose.

The slate Mic has plenty of gain, but comms are so soft that I have to speak very loudly with the Mic right at my lips for the boom op to have a prayer of hearing me.

I have tried with and without the CL-12 and with other mics to verify results.

Best I can figure is something in the machine.

I called and requested a workaround and was assured that my request would get passed along.....

We shall see.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

My 664's internal mic pretty well sucks (you knew that), deafens boom ops with the switch handling noise.  Ext mic has been ok with an old Ant Lion rig, but not with anything else really.  The input really needs a powered mic (although only 12v avail), dynamic mics always seem too wimpy unless you eat it while talking.  I used to have a weird brand-x powered lav that was an iRiver player accessory, that actually worked pretty well (until I broke it).  Other lavs, incl cheapo ones powered by a button battery, don't make enough poop at all.  If someone has a suggestion of a 12v powered small mic that that input likes I'd love to hear about it.

The Remote Audio headset (model BCSHSDBC) has worked reasonably well for me in conjunction with the Boom Cable System and the 664. I have yet to try it however with the 688.  Yes, I do need to keep the mic close to my mouth, but being that it's mounted on the headset I don't see that as a problem.  Are you guys saying that the com mic gain on the 688 is LESS than that of the 664?  That might present a challenge, because while it is satisfactory with the 664, it does require that the gain be set to maximum.

http://www.trewaudio.com/product/remote-audio-bcshsdbc/

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2016 at 8:46 PM, TomBoisseau said:

The Remote Audio headset (model BCSHSDBC) has worked reasonably well for me in conjunction with the Boom Cable System and the 664. I have yet to try it however with the 688.  Yes, I do need to keep the mic close to my mouth, but being that it's mounted on the headset I don't see that as a problem.  Are you guys saying that the com mic gain on the 688 is LESS than that of the 664?  That might present a challenge, because while it is satisfactory with the 664, it does require that the gain be set to maximum.

http://www.trewaudio.com/product/remote-audio-bcshsdbc/

Tom

Tom,

Yea, its considerably lower than my 664 and my 633. I called them and they said they would look into it. Maybe a few more owners should let them know about it. 

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not suggesting anyone should go invest $400 on a Com-Mic, but if you like myself already have these in your kit: a Peter Engh Omnigoose via an Ambient Eumel sounds great with plenty of gain on the 664.

Also; (sorry if too obvious) on the 664, there is Slate/Com mic gain, and a separate menu item control for Com Send gain - try boosting both and see if that helps.