karlw

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I noticed a small difference in the signal flow diagram for the HMa vs the HM in the online manuals. Could you elaborate on this change and its effect? Will this have any impact on its compatibility with mics like the Neumann KM18x line, as per the problems spelled out here? Or will we still have to use polarity-reversing barrel adapters? Thanks, can't wait for wideband!

Update!: The HMa is now (finally) FCC and IC approved and thus is available to ship in the US, Canada and Mexico. The EU version will follow in 30 days. Contact your dealers for pricing and availability (we start shipping units today).

Related: The HMa units we ship starting this week already have the RM Remote response capability installed (firmware v1.02):

"Added support for sonic remote control commands ("dweedle tones"). Brought IR functionality up to date with latest spec."

-Karl

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't already, update your Lectro RM app - the new HMa functionality is now in there!

One more update on the HMa that I did not mention anywhere previously: it has selectable RF power at 50 and 100 mW (US version).

Well,

Used my brand new HMa yesterday... went well... works and sounds just fine....

One point though... This MAY be the same as a HM, but I never owned one so....who knows.. throw away your idea of prior "scale" of numbers of input increments..  meaning.... If your old unit, or your SMVs or SMQv's through a Denecke power supply were set much lower for example, the new HMa has a different scale... it goes to  55 I believe... can't remember now...   I had a brand new MKH50 up and running on the new HMa and it had to be set at @35... This IS using the set to -20 LED tickling the red method, but this is much higher on the number scale than I am used to.... I thought it was strange... so I put on a CS3e.... same thing...  Lectro was closed so I called today.... YEP, the scale is different, so if it looks like higher numbers are needed to get to correct setting level, that is normal... it is the different scale... the numbers are a bit arbitrary ....  I was like.... jeeeze, 35??? really...  but thats normal...

1 hour ago, afewmoreyears said:

so if it looks like higher numbers are needed to get to correct setting level, that is normal... it is the different scale... 

Thanks for the heads up, about to try out a new HMa this week and that would have thrown me off as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, axel said:

I like this Tx. Only issue: The manual says, the unit will reboot on insertion of new batteries if it was  running when batterys were pulled. Mine does not. Is there a way to get it to boot on power restore?

Hi axel,

Indeed there is.  Press & hold the DOWN arrow button when powering the unit on.  The screen should display "rc on".  Press the AUDIO button once and change the "PbAc 0" setting to 1 using the UP arrow.  This will enable the remember-power-status feature when inserting new batteries.

Best,

Wes Herron

Lectrosonics, Inc.

one more suggestion, referring to LR combined with HMa: I use my new HMA with black eneloops and found it's runtime is slightly shorter than with the regular HM I had borrowed previously for this project. This is OK, but I am not on the safe side any more to get through with one battery change at lunch. 

At the moment HMa is paired with an LR Rx. As LR has its display to the front, the battery status is not that easily monitored inside the bag. But it has got a nice green/red battery indicator which is easily seen also inside the bag, but only used for Rx batt warning. Using the LRBattelim I dont really need to monitor my mains cart power on the LR. 

Suggestion: maybe it is possible to add an option to the LR battery monitoring menu to select for the batt warning LED to represent either the Rx or the Tx status. In a perfect world I could also chose a treshold voltage. I'd set it to 1,2 V for the HMa and I'd be on the safe side, because I'd always see the red LED blinking out of the bag and still had a reserve of 20 mins to tell my boom op he is running short of power. 

On 3/22/2016 at 0:59 PM, Paul Katzman said:

I noticed a small difference in the signal flow diagram for the HMa vs the HM in the online manuals. Could you elaborate on this change and its effect? Will this have any impact on its compatibility with mics like the Neumann KM18x line, as per the problems spelled out here? Or will we still have to use polarity-reversing barrel adapters? Thanks, can't wait for wideband!

Well I hate to quote myself here, but if anybody else cares, the HMa does seem to have a change to its P48 implementation (dunno if it is correctly applying voltage to both pins 2 & 3 or if there is a different change.) It DOES work with Neumann KM1xx mics, at least the KM184 and KM185. Had a chance to test last week. Even better, the 15v setting is also fine, which should help with battery runtime? Dunno if this will solve the powering issues for other "picky" mics that were incompatible with the original HM without a phantom polarity reverse barrel, but maybe someone will find this info helpful!

tried using hma with mca5x adaptor and my sanken lavs, no dice, no sound, any ideas?

also my schoeps cmr not only doesnt work, it pins the volume to max, and makes a sound like a oscillator on its deathbed...any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhop are your Sanken lavs wired "servo only"? If so, they won't work with an MCA5X. We're double checking that here.

Not sure the issue with the CMR. Is this an XLR>Schoeps capsule unit? Or are you using it with the MCA5X? Have you tried different voltages (18 vs. 48)? Have you tried polarity reversal between the HMa and the MCA5X or the CMR/XLR unit?

On May 2, 2016 at 0:24 PM, BAB414 said:

Which mics were you having trouble with?

So I never had direct experience with it myself, but had heard of the issue and read official confirmation on Page 12 of the Lectro HM manual (particularly about the Neumann KM1xx series and the Rode NTG3) as well as various threads on the Neumann forums... It works now, though!

On May 3, 2016 at 1:44 PM, karlw said:

jhop are your Sanken lavs wired "servo only"? If so, they won't work with an MCA5X. We're double checking that here.

Not sure the issue with the CMR. Is this an XLR>Schoeps capsule unit? Or are you using it with the MCA5X? Have you tried different voltages (18 vs. 48)? Have you tried polarity reversal between the HMa and the MCA5X or the CMR/XLR unit?

Hi Karl, 

All my lavs are wired servo only, I phoned lectro support prior to ordering the mca5x to ask specifically if the wiring would work with this and was told the wiring would make no difference, which was incorrect it seems....

here is a link to the cmr to explain what it is,

http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/cmr

I have used it with an sm/smqv successfully without incidence, save for sensitivity to interference on the cable, I dropped the hma power  to 5v, but it does not like the hma at all...polarity reverse is a great idea, I will try that out and report back

jhop,

I apologize for the misinformation you received about the MCA5X and servo-only wiring incompatibility with the COS-11. If you like, we will re-terminate your mics for "compatible" wiring at no charge.

Thanks for agreeing to try a polarity reversing adapter with your CMR.

There is one thing I am a bit annoyed about with both the HM and the HMa as well, is the battery insertion. I really like this with the SM, and SMDB transmitters. All batteries go in the same way and it is marked on the case. But on the HM series it's neither marked nor they go in the same way. Why is it different? It'd be great if they could also go in both in the same direction. Or at least mark it on the outside. Especially in the heat of things or with new boom-ops this can be very annoying. Looking into the battery compartment, as suggested in the manual, is not always possible. 

There is an indicator...  look inside the transmitter battery compartment...  the side with the little hole is positive down... the other side is for the bigger negative battery end...simple enough....  Even I figured that out...LOL

Yes, I did say that this is in the manual, but that it is not always possible to see anything in there, like... I don't know... when it's dark. Lectro knows how to do this properly, so why not?

I hear ya,  my vision is going as I get older.... So, I always have a Maglite... That's not the only thing I need it for... I am always struggling to see small things in the dark..  If Lectro printed a small picture of how they should go in, I would need the light to see that!! ;)

If Lectro printed a small picture of how they should go in, I would need the light to see that!! [emoji6]

Which is why I'm suggesting they should do it as with their bodypacks: they all go in the same direction. No need to fumble around with a light or pulling the tx out of its leather pocket to decipher some etchings on the case.