New Plug-on Transmitter: HMa with wide tuning range

karlw

9 hours ago, BAB414 said:

Well if you guys do end up implementing it, please make it an option in the setup menu to have it on/off.

Of course. Could you imagine being at an event with a bunch of HMs, and someone decides to change their channel? SMs have the on/off option. I'm sure these will too, if remote is implemented.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The estimated completion time for compliance testing is end of January, and this includes both FCC and CE. Depending on how long it takes to file the paperwork from there (usually 30 days) we will then be ready to accept orders and ship product. We have a bunch of units built, just waiting to go.

good morning Karl,

two more questions:

.) will there be any differences between the US and European model other than Software? I am asking because I recall some serious issues pairing UM400a or UH400a Tx with european SRa or UCR511 back then. I do not know if European versions of SRb or LR Rx are fully compatible with current US Tx models.

.) what does that mean: band "C1 will not be in use after the results of the next DTV transition spectrum auction in 2016 are in full effect" (see pdf manual page 5). Will band C1 be manufactured from the first batch on? 

thanks for your answers & all the best from Vienna

On 1/20/2016 at 4:46 AM, axel said:

what does that mean: band "C1 will not be in use after the results of the next DTV transition spectrum auction in 2016 are in full effect" (see pdf manual page 5). Will band C1 be manufactured from the first batch on? 

I'm also curious about this. What exactly does this mean? I just bought 2 C1 VRT2s...

While the hardware for the HMa and HMa/E01 (EU Export model) are the same, the two versions are aligned differently and thus it is not just a matter of a firmware load to get them to behave properly in the other mode of operation.

Regarding the note in the manual about the C1 band, we do anticipate that in the US within the next few years (NOT in 2016!) we will lose access to much if not all of the 600 MHz band. As with the 700 MHz band before, we will need to cease manufacturing and selling the C1 band when the time comes. Just for your info, after the auctions (in 2016) there will be 39 months (3.25 years) while the actual changes to the spectrum take place. In some locations, the changes will happen relatively quickly, and some will take even longer than 3 years.

I feel that the statement in the manual is confusing and I've asked marketing to remove it for now until we come up with a comprehensive communication plan about the upcoming spectrum auctions and our plans therein.

I knew there was a good chance block 26 was going away but I had hope for the lower 600 band freqs. After hearing this, I just don't see any purchase in the "C" band being a worthwhile long-term investment (of which I already have two receivers). Why even offer it? Just for this next 3 year stretch? Seems like a bad bet.

Regarding the note in the manual about the C1 band, we do anticipate that in the US within the next few years (NOT in 2016!) we will lose access to much if not all of the 600 MHz band. As with the 700 MHz band before, we will need to cease manufacturing and selling the C1 band when the time comes. Just for your info, after the auctions (in 2016) there will be 39 months (3.25 years) while the actual changes to the spectrum take place. In some locations, the changes will happen relatively quickly, and some will take even longer than 3 years.

Karl, I seem to have read somewhere that at the last WRC in November 2015 it was decided that all further auctions of bands below 694 MHz were to be put on hold and further studies to be conducted. Next to be reviewed in 2023. So we should be fairly safe for the next ten years. If I read that correctly....

Constantin, this may be true for Germany or the EU in general, but not for the US, unfortunately.

BAB414, there has been a lot of information out there during the past couple of years about the upcoming FCC auctions - we and other manufacturers (and dealers) have been as forthcoming as possible all along the way. Most estimates have indeed pointed to the loss of most if not all of the 600 MHz band. I have personally given dozens of video and audio podcast interviews on the subject and have sat on panels about it at AES and other events, talked about it at the four Sound Summit events we co-hosted during the past 15 months, etc. 

As to why C1 is offered? Because as of today, along with blocks 24, 25 and 26, it is still legal to operate in these band in the US, and will be so for 3-5 years, depending on your location and what actually happens in the auction. We won't know exactly the results until the auctions are completed later this year. At that time, we will of course issue formal communications on this subject, in detail.

I'm not saying you guys haven't been vocal about the sell-off. I've been reading all about it. I just don't see the point in selling a product that you KNOW only has about five years of life. I guess it makes sense for people making a slow transition into the next era, which was my initial plan, but now I'm thinking I should exchange my C1 receivers for B1. I always thought C1 was a compromise (half of my stuff is block 26), but one that would work for a little while longer than five years.

And for what it's worth, I love Lectro for delivering quality products and customer service and for adapting so quickly to these new changes. I might have been a little too optimistic with the upcoming auction results. Hopefully not.

What Kelsey said.  It's up to the buyer to determine what life span they require for any device to be a worthwhile investment.  If a person thinks that a potential loss of those frequencies in four or five years means a device is not sufficient for their needs, they should buy accordingly.  I'd rather have the option than have someone else decide for me.

5 hours ago, BAB414 said:

I just don't see the point in selling a product that you KNOW only has about five years of life.

I am currently looking to add two more channels of 600mhz wirelss. 

First I travel quite a bit and I find blocks 25 and 26 are pretty wide open regardless where I am. 

Second while we are all assuming that 600 is going away - the auction hasn't happened as of yet. Will we loose 600 mhz? Will we loose all of it? Will we be able to operate in the guard bands? Will we have to vacate in 5 years? Could it be 8, 10, 12 years?

For me 600mhz is working for me now -and in 5 years, or possibly more, if I have to reblock or replace then I will.

Regarding the Remote tone controls on the HMA - I have started a new thread (since this one has started wandering into other realms) discussing that feature. 

http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/26930-hma-transmitter-rc-question/

In short - we can do it (and will do it) - we just won't have the mute or sleep functions - but we will have levels, frequency, roll off and the other goodies. "Sleep" is precluded since the hardware does not exist on the board and cannot be implemented without re-submitting for testing again.  Since the approvals are pending any day, and since we need time to write the code, the HMa will probably ship without the dweedle tone features to start but that handy little USB port will let you upgrade to the new firmware as soon as it is available - acquire now, dweedle later!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Axel, yes - thanks for asking. The compliance lab finally heard back from the FCC about two weeks ago with instructions about some specific final tests (SARS - specific absorption of radiation). Those tests were begun at the lab last week, so we should have a draft report within perhaps a week from now, then we'll review it, make any needed corrections, then send it on back to the lab. Once we get our compliance documents, then it's only a 30 day wait (usually) before we can take orders and ship. As mentioned before, we have the actual units on the shelf, waiting to go. And as you probably know, the certification process can be very time consuming and expensive, but we feel it is the right thing to do, even though we have to wait for months and months sometimes.