Sound Devices 442 direct outputs

boodschap

My old gear is moving to a project in Africa and I'm wiring it all up.

I want to use the direct outs from the 442 to go in my old 744, so 4 channels can be recorded separately. But of course the direct outs are pre fader. Any chance to get them post fader? Or another solution?

Hmmm... If there's no mix, then why post fader? Why risk the fader being bumped closed and losing your track? If you want a mix output to go to something being monitored, then again you'd want the direct outs to be pre-fader. If you want a track to not be recorded, then turn the gain all the way down or don't track that on the 744T. I can't see a scenario where post fader direct outputs would be useful in your scenario.

Well, I'm of two minds in this, as I'm not gonna use it, I thought it might be easier if the 744 works just as a recorder and TC and therefore be post fader.

As most probably only two transmitters will be used, I might consider left (boom)/right (wireless) out to 1/2 and 2 wireless direct out to 3/4.

1 hour ago, boomhead said:

If you only have three sources (boom + 2 wires) then record the 442 mix output (post fader, L or R) on one track of 744. Use other 3 tracks to record each mic iso pre-fader from 442 direct outs.

With this workflow, you get three isolated tracks and mix track.
Don't forget to calibrate 442 and 744.