Using Zaxconvert to change framerates

B Sharp

Hey everyone. 

I am trying to use zaxconvert to convert a file from 23.98 to 29.97. When I open zaxconvert, I only see the option to "pull up" or "pull down". I am not quite sure how to takle the conversion from 23.98 to 29.97. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance! 

49 minutes ago, RadoStefanov said:

Convert normal then change metadata with waveagent. Works great

That would only work as long as the files all start on an even second.  SD always starts files on an even second.  Earlier Zaxcom files I believe started at whenever fractional second the record button was hit.  Maybe the new machines start on the even second but it would depend on what version of Deva or other machine the files were recorded on, so make sure the start time code at 23.976 all start on even seconds in the files you want to convert before attempting to convert them to 29.97 in Wave Agent.  Perhaps this is already handled by the current version of Zax Convert so it may not be a problem.

6 hours ago, RadoStefanov said:

works fine.

Rado, as I mentioned, zaxconvert only has a "pull up", and pull "down" option. Can you please explain which options to select if I am changing my file from 23.98 to 29.97? Everyone says that zaxconvert can do this, but nobody can tell me how...

On 1/12/2016 at 0:22 AM, cmgoodin said:

That would only work as long as the files all start on an even second.  SD always starts files on an even second.  Earlier Zaxcom files I believe started at whenever fractional second the record button was hit.  Maybe the new machines start on the even second but it would depend on what version of Deva or other machine the files were recorded on, so make sure the start time code at 23.976 all start on even seconds in the files you want to convert before attempting to convert them to 29.97 in Wave Agent.  Perhaps this is already handled by the current version of Zax Convert so it may not be a problem.

I don't think it matters. The Start TC value is stored in both the bEXT and iXML chunks in the BWAV file as a "Samples Since Midnight" value, not as a HH:MM:SS:FF timecode value. So the Start TC value would be the same whether the frame rate was 23.976 or 29.97. The frame rate is stored in the bEXT as the ‘SPEED’ parameter and in iXML as the ‘TIMECODE_RATE’ parameter. DAWs and NLEs can then convert the "Samples Since Midnight" value to the appropriate HH:MM:SS:FF timecode value (and visa versa) depending on the FPS. So theoretically, there shouldn't be any issues since our recorders don't actually do anything in frames, except create metadata stamps.

On 1/12/2016 at 9:56 PM, B Sharp said:

Hey everyone. 

I am trying to use zaxconvert to convert a file from 23.98 to 29.97. When I open zaxconvert, I only see the option to "pull up" or "pull down". I am not quite sure how to takle the conversion from 23.98 to 29.97. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance! 

As others have voiced, you'll have to use Wave Agent to change the frame rate metadata on those files, as ZaxConvert cannot do that. Alternatively, you should be able to just drop those same files against a 29.97NDF timeline. Video at 29.97NDF will sync with audio at 23.976, with timecode matching exactly at the at the top of every second (:00 frame mark).