The Donald addresses the Sound Dept.

al mcguire

I didn't here Donald's comments on the sound before, but did notice the plosives and the overall muddy distortion on the numerous news clips from the Pensacola rally. Many of the lower cost goose-neck type podium mics are prone to plosives anyway.. especially if the speaker 'eats' the mic. I didn't see any redundant mic either.. I guess the sound company felt lucky that day.

.. I would have put up two SM57s with the Shure shock-mounts/windscreens.. which is and has been the usual WH presidential mic set-up since LBJ. No Phantom Power or humidity issues to deal with, super-reliable and always sounds good. Donald should at least have a sound supervisor on tour with him.. and his own mics. I think he could afford it. (I would be available BTW Donald)

It was shit. If they hired a sound person, I have to agree that he/she shouldn't be paid. If that was my result, I would agree to not being paid. What a disaster. My guess is that there was no such person on the payroll. If there was, and you're on this group, shame on you. Unless, of course, you did it on purpose because Trump is pure evil, then I forgive you. Carry on.

It's a standard podium mic, (they usually sound like shit anyway). When I did AV gigs I'd often use a sm58 or 57 a bit lower on a boom arm angled up so:

1: it doesn't pop.

2: the audience can see you

3: you don't spend time mucking round with it in a nervous moment and go totally off mic

3: the cameras can see you

Often a more senior tech would question my choice at first but would agree with my points after discussing it.

Grant.

Another thing is that if you bumped the lecturn, a podium mic (that plugs into a socket on the lecturn itself) will hear all the bangs and crashes. 

"If I had been the sound guy, the moment the "don't pay the sound guy" was said, is the moment nothing else would have been heard."

Glen, you have a day job so you could survive the reaction.

I have a lot of client based scar tissue that reminds me to not be impulsive while working.

I might patch in a pitch shifter if one was available.

• 2 weeks later...