Mix12

old school

I am not sure anyone has actually used it yet since it isn't really a shipping product yet (years in the making and a lot of talk but still not available). There may be someone who has used as a beta test, I don't know. I did spend a brief amount of time with it at NAB and I am happy to voice my opinion with the qualification that it is not a piece of equipment that I need or would want to use (and that is a purely personal and individual statement with no denigration of the product intended).

I will say at the outset that I agree with a few of the other people here who have suggested that although it is called the "Mix" 12 it may be more appropriately referred to as a hardware control surface or hardware interface to the Deva IV/V. To my way of thinking it would not replace a full-featured analog or digital mixing panel such as those in common usage (Cooper, Audio Developments, Sonosax, Yamaha, Mackie and so forth). The boards that have been produced specifically for production sound work (with the boards from Andy Cooper being the best current and long-lived example) have many features, input and outputs, that I believe the Mix12 does not provide. The Mix12 on the other hand, does provide very good and useful access to the powerful capabilities and functions of the Deva, some of these features which are either not very accessible or accessible only via software/menu setups.

So, my conclusion, based on probably way too little knowledge or experience with the Mix12, would be that it could be a very useful item for those who have been using the Deva recorder already as the main hub (connections have been made directly using the Deva mic preamps, routing has been done with the Deva mix matrix screens, etc.) but would like a larger more flexible control surface as the user interface.

We may have to wait for someone to have real world experinece before anything conclusive can be determined.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Your points are well taken. I wasn't thinking so much as a replacement of my old cooper, but more as a way to open up the Deva in off the cart recordings I do. Hey Glenn, if you need any LA mixers to field test the Mix12, I'm up for it, but then again I'm sure you could find many others as well

Regards crew c

Guest Glenn

I think all will find that the MIX12 is a very capable product. It has infinte routing capability. Any input to any output or disk channel pre or post fader. It is not for everyone but it has many advantages and very few disadvantages over traditional mixer recorder combinations. The EQ, notch filters and soft knee compressor will be outstanding. Cost, power consumption and size are all positive attributes. The unit will be out in about 4 weeks. The beta testers are John Garrett and Simon Bishop. I am sure they will post their impressions regarding the unit.

Thanks for the offer Crew

We will have one at Coffey for Demo.

I think all will find that the MIX12 is a very capable product. It has infinte routing capability. Any input to any output or disk channel pre or post fader. It is not for everyone but it has many advantages and very few disadvantages over traditional mixer recorder combinations.

We will have one at Coffey for Demo.

I think I will have to spend some time with the Mix12 when it is all hooked up in at least the semblance of a working setup. That way I will be able to evaluate the way in which inputs/tracks can be routed and also, most importantly, how all the peripheral devices and needs are fulfilled: signal feed to 2 boom operators, feed to Comtek monitor system, feed to Video Assist, as well as my own monitoring.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

• 2 weeks later...

Old cc school,

Mix 12 will be shipping next month. actually, there will be to start a $1,000 discount off the $6500 "unilateral" pricing. we hope to get a few of them in stock as soon as they are ready to deliver.

the mix-12 along with the recorder wireless has generated the most "buzz" after NAB.

thanks,

fsbella,

"when it sounds good,it looks better"

DW