RIP Terry Hillman

Glen Trew

My friend, our colleague, Terry Hillman passed early this morning near his childhood home in Harriman Tennessee. It's always hard to see someone go, but this one is especially tough for me. Terry was my first peer in TV/Film sound, starting in 1976. Our lives and professions mirrored each other's for decades with things like marriage, kids, motorcycles, first Nagra purchases, location travel, and everything else that comes with this line of work. Mostly known in the Nashville film community, Terry was a very knowledgeable audio engineer and talanted production sound mixer who influenced my own career probably more than I've ever acknowledged. He leaves a void that will never be filled, because he was a one-of-a-kind original. From the time I started working with him in 1976 until today, everyone's first comments about Terry was that he was very intelligent, followed by how funny he was - a priceless dry wit. The profession of film production creates a lot of "war stories", and I have more of them with Terry than with anyone else; they could probably fill a book. Terry went way too soon but lived a very full life, and added immeasurably to my own. There are just not enough words.

Sorry for your loss, Glen, and I know exactly what you mean about your peers, those influential people who were friends, fellow workers, on a similar path career wise and so forth. My dear friend David Ronne (who passed away quite awhile ago) was just such a person. I am always pleased to see this sort of relationship acknowledged honored --- I just wish it didn't so often come with someone's passing.

3 hours ago, al mcguire said:

I never met Terry though we often worked on different parts of the same project.

Was he the original local film soundguy in Nashville ?

Sorry for your loss, Glen.

Hi Al,

Terry and I started just a few months apart at the same television station. Probably the first Nashville free lance production mixer is Phil Arnold, who had a couple of years on us. Back then, everybody else almost always worked full-time at a broadcast facility.

GT