RIP Glenn Frey

al mcguire

I am bummed beyond belief...  so many have gone in the last two months.

-posted on Facebook (Bill Dean)

The death of Glenn Frey today makes Jackson Browne's performance of "Take It Easy" Sunday night at the Phillips Center even more moving. To cap a near 2½-hour solo show, Browne told the packed audience: "I'd like to leave you with this song I co-wrote with Glenn Frey, which The Eagles had a massive hit with." He then delivered a rousing performance of the tune, which kept the crowd standing on its feet and clapping along. Browne also told the sold-out audience of 1,700-plus that many people didn't know he had co-written the song with Frey, and that once after he played it at a fund-raising concert, one reviewer described his set as "ending with an Eagles cover." It was clear that he couldn't have been prouder of the song, which he had begun writing in the early '70s and gave to Frey to finish in time for inclusion on the Eagles' self-titled, debut album -- where it was the first track on the first side when the album was released in 1972. RIP Glenn Frey.

Another terrible loss. I first saw the Eagles in the fall of 1971 before the 1st album was released although I believe the single Take it Easy had been out for a couple of months. The show was a triple bill with Eagles opening, followed by KISS...who were also brand new and the headliner was Jethro Tull on their Aqualung tour. It was a really amazing show. I remember how the crowd really took to the young Eagles group. Everyone had a lighter lit up when they played Take it Easy and many were singing along. Very fond memories indeed.