Drive Mounter System video

Glen Trew

There have been no performance issues with the Drive Mounter system, RF or otherwise.

I imagine that a primary design goal of the Zaxcom hard drive box was to protect the hard drive. It was common at the time for hard drive devices to use enclosures that could slide into trays. Also, remember that the Deva drive box was designed back in the day before the mirroring port, when the idea was to ship 700mb hard drives back and forth, time after time after time, between the set and transfer. But now it is rare that Deva hard drive changes hands at all.

When not in use, if additional physical protection is wanted for a hard drive using the Remote Audio system, the Otter Box shown on the Trew site (http://www.trewaudio.com/store/product.php?productid=468) gives similar protection as the Zaxcom box, and is also waterproof.

gt

Hey Glen, nice clean n simple design. I can see how those who want to chance out and save original drives, (maybe for features) as a form of long term storage would benefit from the rig. Drives are so cheap these days that that kind of cost is not an issue. Is the Deva any louder with the drives mounted this way? Not much of an issue, just wondering. Glad your team is tinkering for even the small market that is Deva owners like me.

CrewC

Also, remember that the Deva drive box was designed back in the day before the mirroring port, when the idea was to ship 700mb hard drives back and forth, time after time after time, between the set and transfer.

gt

I think Glen has done a really good job with the drive caddy modification. It makes swapping out the hard drive a much more elegant procedure. Even though we do not have to swap drives routinely, as we did with the original Deva, the Remote Audio Drive Mounter system makes this very easy. It is true what Glen points out that the metal drive box, carried over from the original Deva, provided necessary protection for the daily trip to and from sound transfer. I still have several old drive boxes with labels attached to the box --- I found a line of re-writable stick on labels so I could put the roll number and date on the box, but change it easily when the drive came back to me on the set.

I will add that the original drive box was almost as stunningly under-engineered as the battery eject method --- the original drive box had a nylon cable tie attached, sort of, which would break just about every other day. I finally designed a metal handle fixed to the box to grab onto (and Zaxcom finally designed the plate which the new Devas used to remove the drive).

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

...Glad your team is tinkering for even the small market that is Deva owners like me.

CrewC

Thanks, Crew.

Glad you like it. More to come.

Small market? The middle name of Remote Audio could be "Small Market"! In fact, everyone on this group could probably have that middle name.

No noise issues from the hard drives. They are very slight, even inside the Deva (much lower than cooling fans from Video Village. Once the door is on the Deva, there is no perceivable noise, even to the sound mixer sitting in front of it.

Glen (Small Market) Trew