Mega Deva hard drive fail

Izen Ears

Now I've had several HD failures using Devas.  Each time there was a beeping in the cans and the segment #s didn't advance no matter how many times record was hit.

This time was different.  I heard the beeping once, powered down and re-seated the HD, powered back up and everything was fine.  It rolled and the segment # advanced.  But then when I went to mirror, the whole deck got funny.  Certain buttons wouldn't press and others did.  

Going to the "cue" screen, I discovered that none but the first segment would play.  I had to power cycle to get back to normal.  But alas, segments 12 - 17 would not mirror.  (Segments 1 - 11 had previously mirrored fine, and luckily those were ok.)

It seems the drive just up and seized.  I have had worse luck with static HDs than with the 120GB spinning drives.  Now I'm inclined to just get the rack thing and convert to CF.

But anyway - any ideas?  They're talking about data recovery.  I'm wondering if I could send it to Zaxcom, but of course this happened on Friday evening.

I have also never heard of this happening.  Oh yes - and there was no backup.  Why?  Because for 8 years of Deva use I never needed one!

Dan Izen

I had a spinny drive fail some years back. I got the beep and it all went weird. They were waiting for me so I power cycled and it seemed to come back OK. I then 'recorded' some more segments, but... in fact.... they were not 'seen' by the machine when I tried to mirror, so they didnt mirror. I wondered if it was that the index got corrupted when the initial segment 'failed', and once the index was wonky it could never get put right. What worried me most was that the Deva was telling me that it was recording OK after the power cycle, but in fact it wasnt recording anything that could ever be seen or retreived. I retired that HDD immediately!!

Good luck, sb

Oh yes immediately retired!  Thanks Ear for that tip!  That might save the day.  Gotta get a housing to mount that HD onto a computer.  

So hey Bash, sounds like the same thing happened!  Seg #s advancing and no beeping, but no mirroring.  So - were those files ever able be recovered?

Dan Izen

One more question - anyone know exactly what kind of HD those Deva drives are?  3.5" IDE right?  So something like this would work to mount it onto a desktop:

http://www.amazon.com/Insten%C2%AE-EXTERNAL-HARD-DRIVE-ENCLOSURE/dp/B004S62TBU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1453568739&sr=8-3&keywords=internal+hard+drive+enclosure+usb

Whew!  This blows.  Thanks everyone!

Dan Izen

30 minutes ago, Izen Ears said:

Oh yes immediately retired!  Thanks Ear for that tip!  That might save the day.  Gotta get a housing to mount that HD onto a computer.  

So hey Bash, sounds like the same thing happened!  Seg #s advancing and no beeping, but no mirroring.  So - were those files ever able be recovered?

Dan Izen

Mine were a couple of Wts, done just before lunch, and I mirrored/discovered during lunch. We didnt lose that much sleep over it, I changed HDD over lunch, and we didnt make a huge effort to retreive them after the event. I had a lucky escape.

Kindest, sb