New Sennheiser "VR Mic"

Sixnon

Also thanks y gracias to John and Ramallo, good to hear of some detailed hands on experience. The local Sennheiser representative couldn't event tell me the size of the capsules when it was first released, so it didn't seem like something which was being very actively marketed..I'll be very interested to hear how the Rode offerings stack up.

Well, Len (the proprietor of Core Sound) has done some testing and comparisons.

Here's the gist from the Facebook VR list. He was a bit more open with me, but I'm under an NDA.

Start quote:

"We've recently measured our production Ambeo and its "ambisonic correction filter.")
In addition to its boosting noise level by its high frequency EQ, our recent measurements show that the Sennheiser Ambeo "ambisonic correcti
on filter" adds modulation noise that degrades the audio S/N substantially.
It also does a few other interesting things that are not optimal."

And later, in answer to a comment about the TetraMic's noise performance:

"The noise we discovered in the Ambeo plugin is modulation noise. "Modulation noise" means that it is imposed on the audio signal, and not something you'd hear if there was silence (no audio signal).

The noise that you're hearing when you re
cord with TetraMic is probably noise from your microphone pre-amp, as you compensate for the lower output of the TetraMic capsules. If you did your gain compensation digitally in your DAW, or used the best quality microphone pre-amps (like the Metric Halo ULN-8 or something similar in noise performance), you'd likely not hear what you're describing. Then you'd only hear the difference when recording the very quietest sound sources; then capsule self-noise dominates. For example, that would be when recording hammered dulcimers in a very quiet recording studio."
TetraMic's B-format frequency response is -2 dB at 30 Hz. Our measurements show that Ambeo is -3 dB at 90 Hz."

End quote.

I'm sure there will be more at some point, and once I get my demo Ambeo back again, I'll do a comparison test with the Ambeo and a TetraMic and possibly an ST450 as well. Len's point about a decent pre-amp is the key here: I do use a Metric Halo ULN-8 with my TetraMic. It needs bags of noise-free gain to compensate for its rather low output level.

All the best,

John

• 2 weeks later...

I've owned an SPS200 for 3 years I have recorded orchestras in NZ and Italy

and it was on a 3 week rental to record icebergs and avalanches in Antarctica.

I fine it a very quiet microphone and have had no moisture problems at all.

mike

IMG_1463.JPG

IMG_1465.JPG