Zaxcom Deva announcement

Jeff Wexler

Deva-announcement.jpg.3ae3032a056eb0dd4d

It looks like we're not going to see Deva32 as soon as we had hoped, but when it does arrive, it looks like they have made a wonderful conceptual change --- a recorder that will not be confined to just cart based work as we saw last NAB. This is exciting (I hope more details are revealed but Zaxcom might save it all for NAB).

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 29 January 2016 at 2:23 PM, RadoStefanov said:

My complaint about the deva32 was that you can not break the mixer appart from the recorder and use both stand alone. 

That's interesting as that's the thing I liked most. I thought Zaccom had it sorted with that concept as I think recording drama is a 2 machine process. You need a back up recorder that's a given so why not, in the case of Zaxcom who do the system approach so well, have a fully integrated, fully loaded mixing recording system for cart work and then your backup, in Zax case the Nomad, for bag or insert work. You can have both systems fired up all the time and go between one or the other as the shot requires.

The Q Take video system is a well designed and presented system for Video capture and I thought the Deva 32 looked similar in its approach, an all in one system with a big bright and multi functioned touch screen with all you need in front of you. Maybe they will still have some of those features but I hope they don't make a box recorder to compete with all of the other box recorders.

i saw the original Deva 32 as an original and something I would have traded my entire cart in for as a big step forward in production sound.

just my 5 cents worth.

tony

I agree Tony. As I said on Facebook:

"I guess I'm in the minority that thought there was something of value with the Deva 32 shown at NAB last year. I do think that perhaps the execution of it was too convoluted, but at a very basic level, I still think a digital mixer of that size and weight with DC power input and Dante is a very much needed product in our market."

Now, it sounds like we may still get a mixing component, but they are separating the recorder to its own unique device.

Replying to Tony (hoping to clarify some things):

"I thought Zaccom had it sorted with that concept as I think recording drama is a 2 machine process. You need a back up recorder that's a given so why not, in the case of Zaxcom who do the system approach so well, have a fully integrated, fully loaded mixing recording system for cart work and then your backup, in Zax case the Nomad, for bag or insert work."

Nothing has changed in the method of work you describe above. Deva32 will still be a "fully integrated, fully loaded mixing recording system" for the cart with everything seen at NAB last year. You can have a full Deva32 system on your cart and never remove anything --- beautiful 16 fader mixing console, large screen monitor (touchscreen or not) for the graphical user interface, etc. Then, you can also continue with your second recorder, your backup or your "bag rig" for mobile work off the cart. Nothing has changed in terms of the way you may want to work. 

"The Q Take video system is a well designed and presented system for Video capture and I thought the Deva 32 looked similar in its approach"

Q-Take and similar video system LOOK like some aspects of the Deva32 approach but it's only the look. Q-Take uses the computer for all of its recording processing etc. --- Deva does not. 

"an all in one system with a big bright and multi functioned touch screen with all you need in front of you"

This is exactly what you WILL have in front of your PLUS, of course, a mixing panel with faders, knobs and switches, which Q-Take doesn't need.

"Maybe they will still have some of those features but I hope they don't make a box recorder to compete with all of the other box recorders."

The original concept of Deva32 had the recorder function built into the mixing panel --- the new Deva32 recording system now provides a standalone mixer/recorder that can be taken off the cart, if you want, and used out in the field "competing with all the other box recorders" (though I feel it is not really a competition because there is no other production recording system, in a box or not, that really can compete with Zaxcom --- my opinion, of course).

8 hours ago, Jeff Wexler said:

Nothing has changed in the method of work you describe above. Deva32 will still be a "fully integrated, fully loaded mixing recording system" for the cart with everything seen at NAB last year. You can have a full Deva32 system on your cart and never remove anything --- beautiful 16 fader mixing console, large screen monitor (touchscreen or not) for the graphical user interface, etc. Then, you can also continue with your second recorder, your backup or your "bag rig" for mobile work off the cart. Nothing has changed in terms of the way you may want to work. 

I hear you Jeff but I am intrigued whether this will be a control surface mixer/recorder or a stand alone mixer and recorder. I personally don't want to see another control surface/recorder set up. I like the stand alone mixer with mic pre's and physical control of routing for IFB VOG etc etc. My knowledge of the original Deva 32 is that was the case. Now if they make separate recorder/mixer does that mean we will have xlr mic inputs and outputs on the mixer and then on the recorder? mmm that to me seems like a double up and brings the weight and connectivity into question. I for one don't want to move away from a stand alone mixer, maybe i am too old school, but i love the flexibility it has and the ability to control sub mixers and routing without going into a menu system. 

My view as a Zaxcom Guy is that they already have a great standalone recorder that can be married to an Oasis or to Nomad touch which covers ENG to Feature Films so why another standalone recorder? I guess all will be revealed soon enough.

Thanks for your input.

Tony

Hi Tony,

so - the new Deva will be a stand alone recorder, which of course will mix internally, and will have routable IPs to trax, to mix busses (which will be recordable), and to OPs (physical OPs or HPs). Needless to say these will all be controllable via the screen  and menus on the machine. There will also, of course, be a larger screen GUI (interface/control screen) via a tablet (or even stand alone) PC/Mac/iPad. There will also be a fader panel, like an Oasis but larger, which will work with the recorder and/or the screen/tablet to make the whole system. You will get pretty much all of the options that you mentioned. I have venr high hopes for this system.

Kindest, Simon B

7 minutes ago, Bash said:

and will have routable IPs to trax, to mix busses (which will be recordable), and to OPs (physical OPs or HPs). Needless to say these will all be controllable via the screen  and menus on the machine.

Hi Simon this is what i would love to have controllable on the mixer. The ability to patch an extra IFB into an Aux with a physical volume pot. I am sure they will not disappoint its just that what you describe here reminds me of an Oasis/Nomad 12 the only difference being the 16 ch mixer rather than the 8 ch on the Oasis but with 3 banks you have as many faders as you are likely to need, and with talk of the script pages being on the Oasis/nomad and i am intrigued as to where the difference will be. The original Deva 32 mixer had 8 aux busses all switchable and level controllable something that i voted for.

Tony

10 minutes ago, Tony Johnson said:

Hi Simon this is what i would love to have controllable on the mixer. The ability to patch an extra IFB into an Aux with a physical volume pot. I am sure they will not disappoint its just that what you describe here reminds me of an Oasis/Nomad 12 the only difference being the 16 ch mixer rather than the 8 ch on the Oasis but with 3 banks you have as many faders as you are likely to need, and with talk of the script pages being on the Oasis/nomad and i am intrigued as to where the difference will be. The original Deva 32 mixer had 8 aux busses all switchable and level controllable something that i voted for.

Tony

There are OP level pots on the Oasis. There will be OP level pots on the bigger fader panel also.  Are you wanting something on the recorder box? It might be possible to make the pots on the recorder work as OP pots, but.... there is only so much real estate available on the recorder box, that's why it is able to fit into a bag.

Kindest, sb

I was looking forward to a standalone mixer with pre amps and Aux busses with an inbuilt recorder with no physical connectivity needed, and it looks like we are getting a recorder to replace the Deva and Fusion with an optional control surface. Personally I think Zaxcom already have that in the Oasis/nomad so I am a little disappointed at this stage. Hoping to be delighted when it's released.

tony

On January 30, 2016 at 5:33 PM, Tony Johnson said:
On January 30, 2016 at 4:50 PM, Tony Johnson said:

...I personally don't want to see another control surface/recorder set up. I like the stand alone mixer with mic pre's...

Keep in mind that nearly all digital recorders that we use in location film/video production these days are "recorder with a control surface", including the Nomad, Maxx, 633, and 688. It's just that the control surface is screwed onto the front of the recorder and cabled internally to the mic pres, along with the metering and function controls. So, really, an external control surface is just adding additional surface area to accommodate more controls and ergonomics. I suppose it could be welded on to the recorder, but that would only take versatility away from the system as you would no longer have the option of a smaller, more portable package, and it would sound exactly the same.

gt

4 hours ago, Glen Trew said:

Keep in mind that nearly all digital recorders that we use in location film/video production these days are "recorder with a control surface", including the Nomad, Maxx, 633, and 688. It's just that the control surface is screwed onto the front of the recorder and cabled internally to the mic pres, along with the metering and function controls. So, really, an external control surface is just adding additional surface area to accommodate more controls and ergonomics. I suppose it could be welded on to the recorder, but that would only take versatility away from the system as you would no longer have the option of a smaller, more portable package, and it would sound exactly the same.

gt

I get that but what i was referring to is that i like a mixer with mic pre in the mixer and OP on xlr where you can plug something in, at the last minute, and switch to any IP or OP that has the functionality of say my sonosax. That with an internal recorder appealed to me as opposed to a control surface, that sure has the same routing ability but usually through a menu system that on some machines is a bit clunky IMHO. The original Deva 32 was a point of difference but clearly not a popular one. Its hard to explain but is about the feel of the setup as opposed to everything is possible as long as you go three deep in the menu and click boxes.

Tony