Zaxcom Deva announcement

Jeff Wexler

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a excellent news. Mixahead is a dream comme true.If that MixAhead give us ability to remix making new tracks in a same folder with same time stamp that its a Revolution. The dream will be perfect if we can mix with referance of picture to built  a  new mix down.If zaxcom  really make that posible they definitly win my heart.If that is true every sound mixer will be on the top of the World.

I think MixAhead will be a fantastic tool --- I can't wait until it is available and we get our hands (literally) on it. I am posting a descriptive write up from Zaxcom that goes into more detail on this amazing feature. One very important thing to know about this process is that it creates a second mix track --- so, in no way does it detract from one's "brilliant" mix track 1 --- it will provide an alternate mix that may very well prove to be even more brilliant and useful to post.

Looks like Glenn Sanders has posted a detailed description of MixAhead: MixAhead

7 minutes ago, RadoStefanov said:

While post mixes should be left to the post professionals this MIxAhead might really help low end reality and other production that have zero post. Maybe Zaxcom can tell us who came up with it so we can thank him.

Way to turn lemons in to lemonade. The fader lag in to Mixahead.

I did after much LSD and 10 snicker bars .;-)

Glenn

I realy want to know what Zaxcom is going to propose us in the new deva 24.

In my opinion we need to have a  sound recorder that offer possibilities to remix in the same folder new mix down.

That recorder needs to have video reference. If not it doesn t make sense for me.

If Deva 24  MixAhead comes with video reference and motorized   fader control surface that will shift paradigm.

21 minutes ago, Wandering Ear said:

Sounds like a killer idea.  I can't wait to try it out.  Now if Zaxcom could combine MixAhead with Automix, basically creating a look ahead Automixer, that would be incredible!!

IMO they would need to vastly improve the Automix algorithm, which I find to be a rather disappointing feature in its current state.

But, as to MixAhead:  Another innovative concept that I look forward to laying my hands on.

3 hours ago, didikaonabo said:

In my opinion we need to have a  sound recorder that offer possibilities to remix in the same folder new mix down.

This is already the case with Deva if you're using Zaxcom Wireless --- you can play back the tracks from each bodypack, in sync, and re-mix creating a new set of tracks (mix and isos) which is timecoded to the original recording (that possibly the mix was not so good).

2 hours ago, Jeff Wexler said:

This is already the case with Deva if you're using Zaxcom Wireless --- you can play back the tracks from each bodypack, in sync, and re-mix creating a new set of tracks (mix and isos) which is timecoded to the original recording (that possibly the mix was not so good).

I know Billy Sarokin has done this often in the past. I beleive he does it between scenes and talent has no idea.

Hi Jeff,

I disagree with your point of view about Zaxcom wireless. I consider the remix with the transmitter is not the solution. We can not mix with video reference, it's a mix blind. 

Having the possibilities to make new mix down and to see a video reference would be an amazing progress.

Imagine having a possibility to redo your mix with a control motorized surface until you have a perfect mix down…. That will be a major change in our work. I hope this will be our reality soon.

43 minutes ago, didikaonabo said:

Hi Jeff,

I disagree with your point of view about Zaxcom wireless. I consider the remix with the transmitter is not the solution. We can not mix with video reference, it's a mix blind. 

Having the possibilities to make new mix down and to see a video reference would be an amazing progress.

Imagine having a possibility to redo your mix with a control motorized surface until you have a perfect mix down…. That will be a major change in our work. I hope this will be our reality soon.

Well, didikaonabo, maybe I mis-understood you --- I have to disagree with you now that I know what you are suggesting our recorders should be able to do. This really enters the world of how much POST production work should we be doing in PRODUCTION. I just about guarantee that no production recorder manufacturer, even one as progressive and innovative as Zaxcom, will ever provide within your re order the thing you are asking for.

I've often felt that remote controls were a little disappointing in their performance. No matter how well they worked, they never seemed to remotely control the things I wanted to control. The best they could do was to adjust volume or change channels, things I could accomplish myself if I would bestir myself from my chair. Efforts to mute a complaining child were invariably ineffectual.

I would really like to see a LOOK-AHEAD controller that would help evaluate which assignments were best avoided entirely. To date that is still in development.

Seriously, this new feature is really very clever and I cannot foresee any circumstance where having it and using it would be a liability. For some projects it could be a life saver. And, if it doesn't help in other cases, it does no harm either. Well done. 

And, now perhaps Glenn can turn his fertile imagination to other challenges.

David

I'm a little unclear on what will be accomplished by this feature.  I think what was said was that the monitor mix (headphones) stays real time (like as in sync with a video monitor as that monitor allows), but in addition to the mix you hear getting recorded, a 2nd mix that is delayed somewhat is recorded too, in which the mixer gets more reaction time.  OK, but you aren't hearing this mix as you do it…right?  Is this a good idea, recording something you aren't monitoring?   How would you know if you "got it" without playing the take back?  Sorry if I missed something.  I have to say that I don't see posties buying this new mix as a reason to not work with PF isos--there are too many upsides for them in using them anymore, vs any mono location mix.  For shows w/o audio post, I guess we'll see if they find it more useful than (good) automixes.

Just speculating, but I can visualize (...ok, auditorialize) this.  Keep in mind that we're only talking a fraction of a second.  

One of the toughest challenges of mixing in real time is grabbing the front edge of someone's unexpected speech.  So, if you hear that you almost hit the fade in right, the MixAhead track should have it a tad better.  Sounds like a clever idea to me -- with the advantage that if you don't like it you don't have to use it.

9 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

I'm a little unclear on what will be accomplished by this feature.  I think what was said was that the monitor mix (headphones) stays real time (like as in sync with a video monitor as that monitor allows), but in addition to the mix you hear getting recorded, a 2nd mix that is delayed somewhat is recorded too, in which the mixer gets more reaction time.  OK, but you aren't hearing this mix as you do it…right?  Is this a good idea, recording something you aren't monitoring?   How would you know if you "got it" without playing the take back?  Sorry if I missed something.  I have to say that I don't see posties buying this new mix as a reason to not work with PF isos--there are too many upsides for them in using them anymore, vs any mono location mix.  For shows w/o audio post, I guess we'll see if they find it more useful than (good) automixes.

Philip, you are right that it is quite odd to use something that is potentially improving a mix but you are not able to monitor it or even evaluate its usefulness. This would be a deal breaker for sure if it were the only mix but it's not --- it is an additional mix which, at this point, we can only speculate as to its usefulness to post. It is true that to a certain extent, we (production mixers) will not know whether the MixAhead mix is better than our main mix unless we play it back on the day. In post, however, it will be very easy and immediate as they have laid all our tracks out, to seamlessly listen to our main mix track, the MixAhead track, back to the main mix, etc. Sound editors and mixers working in post will be the ones who discover how useful MixAhead is (or not). For those in post who have already settled into the mode "I don't even listen to your mix (because it's awful) I go straight to the isos" --- these people will not be helped, but those who strive to stay in our mix (which is the majority of post people on most projects) will have an alternate mix that could be very useful.

I don't know, really.  I guess if Zax does some demos @ LA post houses maybe they can make some converts to the MixAhead track thing, but in general I think the posties might be skeptical of the notion that they'd need to listen through a 2nd location full mix of each take before they decided on whether they were going to go with the isos for that scene.   It seems like that moment might be the first time anyone checks that mix--I don't see me having time to play down and compare my live mix to the MixAhead mix on location, the picture editor probably won't care so it would all get passed to the sound editors to deal with.   But it seems worthwhile to try and get the posties to consider this, and make a workflow that accomodates it.  What seems to be needed is a live-fire test.

Agreed! If the Production Sound mixer is not advertising and pushing for the use of that new MixTrack than I doubt anyone in post cares. And I wouldnt want to recommend anything not even I had been listening to in the first place. 

But for me with an analog mixer in front of my recorder it won't work anyway.