Sound Blanket "Sail" Hollywooded

Harris K

Hey all,

Have a common problem with an interesting suggestion. In a few days, my current film has a day of stedicam walk-and talks to camera all down the same very reverberant concrete U-shaped hallway. 

We end up seeing almost every surface of the hallway during the shots, so noise abatement has been tricky. Production has nixed carpeting the hallway, for both look and cost. Art is being very supportive in trying to get soft-material deressing for the walls. And production okayed covering the ceiling in painted convolution foam. Also, the moving crew all agreed to get foot foamed (haven't specifically heard about the stedi op, but I'm choosing to be hopeful.

Despite all this outpouring of inter-departmental support, it's still going to sound pretty crappy. Long story long, here is my question: DP offered to have one of the grips Hollywooding some kind of sound-blanket baffle rig behind the steadi, and I have no idea how useful this would be, and how to best implement it. I'm pretty sure it would be help a bit, but I'm vaguely hopeful someone has done something vaguely similar and can offer advice.

After typing this out, i realize I have a tremendously supportive team on this, and should shut up and be grateful that i got this far. Any input very welcome! 

"Hollywooding" a flag will do little or no good, particularly if it's radio mics, which it sounds like it will be. It'll just add another person in the hallway on solid floors. You seem to have negotiated all the things you can hope for. Well done.

Someone here in the UK sourced adult "slipper socks" - Size XL will fit over sensible shoes (not big work boots) - They have rubber nodules on the bottom to prevent slipping. If you have children, you might know these things. Our kids wore them in the house growing up. Got them at Old Navy.