Point Source Audio Lav Mics, Who has tried them?

Phil D

I found these mics when I was looking for options for waterproof Lavaliers.

According to their website, they have a lot of use in theatres and handle moisture, makeup, and high SPL.

They are also priced competitively, and the capsule is 4mm diameter, same as COS11, meaning that accessories could be shared.

Has anyone had any hands on experience with these? On paper they look like a great option

.http://www.point-sourceaudio.com/

Thanks for that. I have seen the various references on your website, but was hoping for some input from some Location Sound operators from Film and Television.

They seem to have a good following in the Theatre, and Stage sectors, and I am sure there is a place for them in our field of work too.

I will definitely be trying them out when I need to purchase some more Lavaliers, and will post my findings when I do.

• 1 month later...

Hey Phil, glad to hear that you'll be checking them out! I wanted to let you in on a new product we just released because depending on how you're using the lavaliers, it might be perfect for you. If you are interested in checking out our lav (same waterproof element/specs) in the new Earmount style here's a quick link: http://www.point-sourceaudio.com/lavalier_microphone/omnidirectional/EO-8WL.html. This new mounting style provides camouflage with consistent mic placement regardless of head movement. 

Feel free to send me over any questions otherwise looking forward to hearing your findings!

I got to wear a Point Source Embrace model at USITT 2016 last month, when giving a presentation.  I found it comfortable to wear and a roomful of theatre audio guys didn't seem to have a problem with the sound quality either. So much nicer (as a wearer) than the other over-ear boom systems, one of which I also got to wear earlier in the day in an interview and which got tangled up with lanyards and glasses.

I listened to others using the Point Source mics and was sufficiently impressed to follow up when I got back to the UK: in fact I'm trying to get hold of one for a show right now.

John

Thanks for the great comments and feedback! @Midnitesnd If you're looking for dealers or distributors you can just enter your zip code and search at http://www.point-sourceaudio.com/purchase.html. If you don't find what you need, just send an email to sales@point-sourceaudio.com or use the handy CHAT function to talk with us online at our website.

• 2 weeks later...
On April 4, 2016 at 0:33 PM, Techie23 said:

Thanks for the great comments and feedback! @Midnitesnd If you're looking for dealers or distributors you can just enter your zip code and search at http://www.point-sourceaudio.com/purchase.html. If you don't find what you need, just send an email to sales@point-sourceaudio.com or use the handy CHAT function to talk with us online at our website.

Maybe you guys haven't tested this out, but do your ear mounts fit other brands of mics? I'm thinking specifically about DPA 4060s and Slims, which I could stand to use sometimes as headsets.. Also it would be super helpful to many of us if you had distribution through some of the larger location sound dealers like Trew, Gotham, etc. Food for thought. 

Edited by Paul Katzman
Typo

45 minutes ago, Paul Katzman said:

Maybe you guys haven't tested this out, but do your ear mounts fit other brands of mics? I'm thinking specifically about DPA 4060s and Slims, which I could stand to use sometimes as headsets.. Also it would be super helpful to many of us if you had distribution through some of the larger location sound dealers like Trew, Gotham, etc. Food for thought. 

Thanks for the question Paul. Our proprietary EMBRACE Earmounts are designed for a custom fit to the Point Source lavaliers. We have not tested the Earmounts for compatibility with other mics; although, like yourself, others have expressed interest. Earmounts come in packs of 6, 12 or 24; or if you wanted to try the whole EMBRACE package, it comes with the mic and 2 Earmounts.  @Gotham Sound is an authorized Point Source Audio dealer.  We'll follow-up with them about getting the products posted online for purchase, but please contact them directly and we're sure they'll be able to help. 

3 minutes ago, Techie23 said:

Thanks for the question Paul. Our proprietary EMBRACE Earmounts are designed for a custom fit to the Point Source lavaliers. We have not tested the Earmounts for compatibility with other mics; although, like yourself, others have expressed interest. Earmounts come in packs of 6, 12 or 24; or if you wanted to try the whole EMBRACE package, it comes with the mic and 2 Earmounts.  @Gotham Sound is an authorized Point Source Audio dealer.  We'll follow-up with them about getting the products posted online for purchase, but please contact them directly and we're sure they'll be able to help. 

Thanks for your quick response! I suppose I'll just have to buy some to find out, heh. I only asked about the dealers because your website didn't suggest Gotham (or anyone else comparable) in Atlanta, despite us having a Gotham location here. I'll get in touch with them, thanks!

3 minutes ago, Paul Katzman said:

Thanks for your quick response! I suppose I'll just have to buy some to find out, heh. I only asked about the dealers because your website didn't suggest Gotham (or anyone else comparable) in Atlanta, despite us having a Gotham location here. I'll get in touch with them, thanks!

Ok I see the problem!  We only had @Gotham Sound listed for the NY location under their zip code 11106.  We'll add the Atlanta location to our Dealer Locator so it comes up on the search!

3 hours ago, Paul Katzman said:

I was interested in this too but unfortunately the UK dealer was more preoccupied with some unexplained 'gate keeping' issue or perhaps he was a bit coy about telling me a 6 pack of the ear mounts cost £600! It took me 6 email attempts before he would tell me his price. Come to think of it, if it takes him 6 emails exchanges to tell someone his price for something I guess he'd have to charge a premium to stay in business.

42 minutes ago, daniel said:

I was interested in this too but unfortunately the UK dealer was more preoccupied with some unexplained 'gate keeping' issue or perhaps he was a bit coy about telling me a 6 pack of the ear mounts cost £600! It took me 6 email attempts before he would tell me his price. Come to think of it, if it takes him 6 emails exchanges to tell someone his price for something I guess he'd have to charge a premium to stay in business.

Daniel,  Our sincerest apologies for this.  Please let us investigate with the UK reseller and clear this up.  Some of the delay may be caused by the fact that the EMBRACE was just released less than a month ago and many of our resellers are still working to catch up to the interest and demand! Given the time difference, allow us 24-36 hours to get some answers and  back to you.