Schoeps CMIT5U buffer / glitch noise when turned on

Joel C Hernandez

I recently purchased a Schoeps CMIT5U microphone. I've used it 3 different days and I'm noticing that when powering on the channel (of my SD 633) that the CMIT5U is plugged into, the mic makes a buffer/glitch noise that I hear. Sometimes it's more of a click sound, it varies. The mic seems to perform fine beyond this anomaly. Just wondering if this is common for this particular mic? I've had no problems with my CMC641 / MKH416 / MC930.

Thanks-

I spoke to Scott at Redding Audio when I first got my CMIT several years back. And I dont remember the whole technical reason - but it has something to do with the way the microphone powers up. Earlier mics didn't do this but for some technical reason Schoeps started doing this with the CMIT.

It's perfectly normal and there is no issue with the mic.

This is from Scott at Redding:

CMIT 5U + SuperCMIT 2U Tech Note

RE: Note on Powering and Startup Noise

We changed the design of the CMIT 5U for the sake of higher operation reliability. Up until the last production run, the CMIT 5U had a mute function that switched off the sound when the powering was too weak. This also suppressed the booting procedure of the CMIT 5U when it is plugged in. Unfortunately our ambition for perfectness turned out to be a disadvantage. Sometimes the CMIT 5U is used with a weak supply, some battery converter or wireless transmitter. With the batteries losing their charge these customers became the victim of that trap - suddenly the CMIT 5U turned off as it detects the too weak supply.

As of 8/2011 we disabled that mute function from the current series on and now in allCMIT service cases. For the acceptable "disadvantage" of the short starting noise the microphone now works withnearlyevery power supply. With a weak supply it may lose part of its perfect parameters like output swing capability but it will continue working.

Overall we see this as a big advantage for the customers. Just ignore that starting noise. It is very short and will not be heard if one connects microphones with the volume muted at the mixer. Every microphone makes some noise during start, it may crackle or it may bubble. No worries.

The SuperCMIT2U produces a similar boot noise, which may even last up to 12 seconds.