Lithium-ion batteries banned as cargo on passenger flights

OmahaAudio

3 minutes ago, ryanpeds said:

Maybe they can source Life batteries in the different locals so that the battery-less units can be shipped via plane. 

Yes thats what i think. It means we can have the power distro the charger and box and we plug our own batts in. I believe they maybe the Inspired Energy/Audio root 98WH batts that are very common. Maybe 4 batts in the neon life.

• 2 weeks later...

my recent experiences on a trip from toronto to cairo may be worth sharing ...

leaving toronto, i'm carrying on four anton bauer dionic 90's, carry on in a peli, taped, bagged individually.  agent at the air canada counter asks if i'm checking any batteries.  no, i'm my lithiums are in my carry on.

not checking any batteries at all, she asks? 

air canada employees, she claims, have just that week (second week of march) received instructions to not let "any batteries" be checked.  i have my rechargable aa's in my carry on also, i show her, we're good. i presume that she refers to loose batteries (of any chemistry), not removable batteries installed in equipment, but it wasn't the time to be asking about details.  

two weeks later, return from cairo.  same carry on, same 4 li-on's, same 36 eneloop aa's.  i'd already made it through one x-ray machine after ticketing, and there's another at the gate.  i go through, and i'm eventually told, after a dozen men in suits arrive one after another and look at the batteries and talk into their phones, that my carry on has to go underneath.  i produce the iata regs sheet, no lithium in cargo, unlimited spares under 100wh in the cabin and all that, i'm told that this is egyptair policy, not iata.  we put it under, or it stays here.  down it goes.  (which causes gigantic mushkila for me at my layover in frankfurt, since my carry on goes to the carousel, meaning i have to go through passport control, import my gear, export my gear, passport control and security again, making my connection quite tight.)  german security looked at the batts, and everything else, and sent me on my way, with the carry on going in the cabin.

i suspect that the headache in cairo had to do with new electronics guidelines (i won't call them regulations) from airports in muslim-majority countries.  my takeaway: for jobs in the middle east, i'm going to emotionally prepare for powering my bag, the whole thing, off aa's i buy at my destination.  cart jobs, find a motorcycle battery when i arrive.  and get used to the idea of checking my entire kit, since no mixer/recorder will survive the large electronics ban.  zax recording wireless and an erx might make it on as a minimal recording kit.

Thats interesting Trombles and something to look out for. My research down under says, AirNZ allow unlimited Li batts under 100WH as cabin baggage as do Singapore Air but Malaysia Air only allow two. All these airlines ban any Li in cargo, I agree re having a back up at the destination like a lead acid battery or the like. It makes sense to have them in the cabin so there is a chance if there is a fire, not so in the hold.

Tony

• 3 months later...

Okay.  I'll answer my own question.  I found some plastic boxes.  They are made by "Really Useful Products" and it is the model labeled ".55 liter clear".  You can get them at Hobby Lobby, or Office Depot.  They're a little loose fit for an NP and the latching mechanism is not the best (I would have preferred a hinge), but they're not bad!

Tom

IMG_1231.JPG

IMG_1229.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG