Storage and maintenance

cinetj

For long term storage (more than a few days) I return microphones to there individual cases/pouches and placed in a Pelican case with some moisture absorbing packets. About the same for mixers/recorders/electronics. All are then placed in a cool-dry upstairs closet. I don't have AC but the house stays relatively cool being in a wooded area.

In Austria heat is not so much a concern, as is the cold and humid wintertime.

When my son moved out, I took his small room (like 10 m2, 100+ square feet, high ceiling), dedicated it for office and equipment and made a 2 x 2 m  walk-in-closet for all delicate gear. It was big in the beginning but seems to shrink every year. I made a bed on top of the closet, so the children can sleep on top of my Cantars, whenever they come home for a visit.

bigger chunks like van seats, cable drums, mic stands have to rest in a small chamber under the stairs of the public hallway. It is a little damp there, but the big RCF-ART speakers survive inside two layers of protective covers. At first I also stored  my (wooden) soundcart there between projects, but last year I started to bring it upstairs and park it in front of the closet. It is definitely better for the wood. I did not like the moldy smell after wintertime.

Thank you for sharing. I'm in a very humid place, so the smaller moisture absorbing packets get moisty/pink really quick. I would have to send them to the oven everyday in order to reuse them. A dehumidifier for the room is too expensive. I'm getting something in between for the closet where I keep the equipment, something like the eva-dry portable dehumidifier. 

I have bought a portable electric dehumidifier. I have it in my garage and I will just put in my car and leave it running for the night, Especially after rain, when everything isn't perfectly dry. So far it seems to work well. I'm always surprised how much water is in its tank in the morning. It cost about €300, so not really that expensive.