Shure KSM137 for stereo ambience

Jeremiah Sheets

I have a stereo pair of KSM137s that I used to use for drums. Bought them about 10 years ago when they were still around $600 each. They're half that now for whatever reason.

I'm looking into recording some ambience for my own use and it would be great to use what I already have.

Anyone use these for stereo ambience or nature recordings?

little brother of KSM 141. A little noisy, but if you try it and it works, great!

I've found an AT BP4025 XY stereo mic does a nice thing. It uses two LD diaphragms, so it creates more voltage swing, (more sensitive, less selfnoise.) Check out the Ambi08 file recorded with the BP4025 in this folder: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7f0qg6se5bzvbev/ATBP4025ambi08.wav

It's little brother, AT8022 is pretty good as well: Here's more on it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/602080-REG/Audio_Technica_AT8022_AT8022_X_Y_Stereo_Phantom.html/BI/8631/KBID/9745

Regards,

Ty Ford

I like 137s a lot, and don't find them noisy at all.  I use them a lot for audience mics, hall pairs and sometimes stereo drum overheads.  I was advised to look into them as a great deal on a very "fast" responding mic by a very senior classical music engineer and tonmeister, and his advice was excellent, I found.  If I needed more SDC mics right now I'd look for more 137s used.

Thanks guys. Maybe I'll take them out and give them a try.
I've also used them for drum overheads and audience mics, as well as engine and exhaust (with the built in pad they can take over 170 dB !). 

I am little concerned about self noise with such low sensitivity. I'll give them a shot.
If they don't work out, I might look into an MS rig. Already own a 4017 with a C preamp that I could put a 4018 on and look into a fig 8 like the MKH 30 (when will they release an 8030 already?). Alternatively I also have a beautiful sounding Microtech Gefell m296. With another I could look into spaced omni. It isn't as portable, but is my preferred choice for picking up room sound for orchestral or choral, so maybe for ambience as well...

• 2 weeks later...

Shure condensors are quite respected for their low self noise. If you check the specs, it shows the lowest in the industry. They are a very good value, just not as smooth in the 2-7K range as schoeps or MKH series.Just put them in an ORTF pattern, or one that gives a wide image such as NOS. Stay away from X-Y!