DPA Lavaliers and water

AnuarYahya

I have tried asking DPA several times and they have not yet replied so I am bringing this question here. I was wondering if anybody has had any experiences dealing with water and the 4063 DPA lav, or any lav in the 4060 family. Will it harm the microphone? or will it just dry out with no problems?. It looks like the DPA Heavy Duty lav can deal with water just fine.. 

My experience is that they work fine after being dunked or splashed. Haven't had them submerged though.

Once I rigged two dpas to a camera that was going down a water slide. The mics were dressed with a Rycote furry. The camera was dunked in the pool after the slide (it was in a scuba bag) and the mics were soaked. I took the furrys and caps off the mics real quick, and blowed the water off and dried them a while. No problem. Wouldn't do it again, but it worked, and the sound of the mics dunking the water was awesome, and I used it in the mix

do you soak the capsules in distilled water while doing the ultrasonic clean? - I didn't dare to do it with DPAs yet, but I did successfully with VT500 several times. They can get wet and work flawless if dried again.

3 hours ago, Richard Thomas said:

Can't currently find it but someone did a test (again with the heavy duty) taking the cap off and walking into a river, submerging it. Again it worked once the water cleared out

You mean that video, Richard?

• 1 year later...

Realising it's an old thread but this is pretty clear in the 4060 manual "If the microphone gets filled up with water or sweat it will not be damaged, but possibly turn deaf while the water is captured inside the microphone, behind the protection grid." https://www.manualslib.com/manual/744164/Dpa-4060.html?page=2 It actually seems there is no waterproofing difference between the standard 4060 and the heavy duty one, both of them you'd ideally remove the cap to aid drainage, they are both unharmed by water but go deaf when its flooded.

The other thing is that someone mentioned cleaning the caps/grids in an ultrasonic cleaner and then it seemed others were maybe thinking that post was referring to the mic capsules being cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner. Has anyone cleaned the whole mic ultrasonically without harm? Would be great if mud or something got in one but i'd be a bit worried unless someone knows its ok.

1 hour ago, RadoStefanov said:

No way. Once the cos11 mic is full of sweat and dirt particals there is no way to take them out and the mic sounds horrible. The difference between permenent  and removable grill

Well, you can take the grill out, replace it with a new grill (using their grill replacement tool), and choo... :)

On 7/31/2017 at 2:44 AM, Athomson said:

ultrasonic cleaner

WONT WORK on mic heads. think about the poor diaphragm!