Wandering Ear

6 hours ago, Wandering Ear said:

Came across Yamaha's TF line of digital mixers, and the tf1 strikes me as a nice update to replace an 01V.  Haven't had the opportunity to see one in person though.  Anyone used these and have thoughts?

http://m.usa.yamaha.com/products/live_sound/mixers/digital-mixers/tf/tf1.html

Looks interesting. I love that it's half the weight of a QL1; it is also slightly smaller and Dante capable with optional card. Still don't like that it is AC powered only. I wish there was a digital mixer with similar specs that has DC power option, that way I wouldn't need a power inverter.

4 hours ago, Mark LeBlanc said:

No gain knob per channel. You have to hit a select button then turn a data knob and the display is not very big..

QL1/5 is the same, and you can still be very fast and efficient once you get used to it. In fact, if you're a Zaxcom auto trim user, this is actually an easy transition.

12 hours ago, Jose Frias said:

Looks interesting. I love that it's half the weight of a QL1; it is also slightly smaller and Dante capable with optional card. Still don't like that it is AC powered only. I wish there was a digital mixer with similar specs that has DC power option, that way I wouldn't need a power inverter.

QL1/5 is the same, and you can still be very fast and efficient once you get used to it. In fact, if you're a Zaxcom auto trim user, this is actually an easy transition.

I totally agree.  A DC powered digital mixer with Dante would be great.

16 hours ago, Mark LeBlanc said:

Just saw one at local music store.. 3 things... 1. Very wide.. 2. The motorized faders did not have a smooth movement.. Almost jerky. 3. BIG ONE.. No gain knob per channel. You have to hit a select button then turn a data knob and the display is not very big..

#2 would be the big one for me.  Jerky or clunky faders would drive me nuts.  

I didn't realize that it was a wide console, the TF1 seemed small enough to reasonably fit on a cart, but that is the benefit of seeing them in person.  I honestly don't think I'd miss dedicated gain knobs.  Like Jose said, the autotrim style of gain adjustment is very efficient once you are used to it.

20 inches wide so no SKB case for it.. There may be a setting to turn off the motorized faders not sure.. You will have to try the Gain thing yourself, but it was a long move if you wanted to keep your hand on a fader and adjust.. Its not like the Nomad, touching a fader didn't select a channel. You have to Press the "Sel" button for channel then reach across to the data input knob.. I love a gain knob per channel, it's just the way I like to work which also rules out a CL12 for my 664...

9 minutes ago, Jeff Wexler said:

Some of these mixing panels are initially wider than rack width but some have removable sidepanels to allow for rack width installations. I do not know if that is the case with the TF.

I looked again and the Yamaha website does say it's rack mountable, so I'd guess you are right about the side panels.

• 11 months later...

Has anyone here at JW had more experience with Yamaha's TF series mixers?  I'm thinking of investing in the TF1 or TF3.  I'm not necessarily needing it to be able to fit on a cart as most of the uses for it would be the house based reality shows where I'm routing 20-30 channels through it.  I've used MADI with a rental DM2000 in the past with great success and am looking into purchasing my own board and jumping into the world of Dante.  Any experience with this series would be much appreciated!

I've only had the briefest play with a TF1, but I own and use the Tio1608 Dante stage box (designed for the TF series - and using the same head amps that are onboard the TF consoles) with my 01v96 and SD970 recorders. Despite some disapproving comments in music forums online about the preamps vs. the older Rio stage boxes (which I also own), I find them to be perfectly useable and quiet for the purpose. Like most digitally controlled head amps, they do move in 1dB steps, so one should avoid adjusting mid-speech.