To guide or not to guide.....

On 3/8/2016 at 2:07 AM, Ivan Milborrow said:

... but my point is that any audio devices attached to camera are immediately jettisoned when it goes on to Movi or Ronin, including my tentacle sync box which is the smallest and lightest sync box on the planet. My Boom Op has better things to do than constantly run after camera to attach or reattach audio devices. Just saying.

No disrespect intended, Ivan.

My "What's the big deal?" (post) was meant as a jibe towards the (unfriendly?) camera dept., that you mention in your OP.

Apologies to all who might deemed it in-appropriate?

I can certainly understand, that - We, as professionals, on a professional's forum - might sometimes feel a need to air our grievances? Look to our peers for solidarity? Maybe even a bit of commiseration? (About the situations that we all run into - sooner, or later - across our various projects?)

Good luck to you, in your future endeavors, Ivan.

I was on with both of you.

On my BTS glam-fashion shoots, those Movis, Ronins, and any tiny-framed gimbles, (they all seem to be marketed for Mountain Dew-chugging skaters chasing each other) means either the AC or shooter will nix ANY additional attachments (even when Karlsson rented me his tentacle...wait...that doesnt sound right...doesnt matter). These fashion photographers also come from a separate culture where film and TV workflows fly right over their pretty gelled heads. Their DITs are the youngest of the young, the cheapest of the quasi-interns, and when you try to give the pros of TC or a guide track to a DP, they're not moved by descriptions of extra work for "post" (You've heard the colloquial use of "agnostic" when people say they dont have an opinion on something? These dudes are basically sociopathic when it comes to workflow).

But of course Gallup then documented his long-known and documented, mad skills to show how he has cured at least one sociopath...lol...I get it, Jim.

The Taoist "light-side" to this situation is that all that sociopathy can actually come in handy when, like Sharman, I use the negatives to "convince" production to not have something on camera (they didnt pay, they didnt know, Ive got food poisoning, what have you).

Once more into the breach, girls and boys.

Steve

The truth is that the fashionista techophobes are right for their own world re sync.  In the last couple of years, the rule has been the higher the budget and the more attudinal the director, the less care is put into anything resembling workflow or record keeping etc etc..   I guess they've beaten their editors into submission--in the "old" days this kind of sloppiness re sync, guide track, notes, slates etc would have resulted in a flurry of angry phone calls from post.  Today, on these sorts of jobs, we just dump it all on the DIT and walk away.

4 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

The truth is that the fashionista techophobes are right for their own world re sync.  In the last couple of years, the rule has been the higher the budget and the more attudinal the director, the less care is put into anything resembling workflow or record keeping etc etc..   I guess they've beaten their editors into submission--in the "old" days this kind of sloppiness re sync, guide track, notes, slates etc would have resulted in a flurry of angry phone calls from post.  Today, on these sorts of jobs, we just dump it all on the DIT and walk away.

Sounds about right.

On 3/7/2016 at 0:10 AM, RPSharman said:

That is an interesting new development. Sending audio to camera instead of video assist, so it's imbedded.

In Los Angeles, running sound to camera for purposes of playback when there ISN'T a video assist operator on set does get into a situation that affects union rules. Video playback is a position in the sound union (long story), but video assist is often not hired due to a high expense. The ability to play back, with audio, on regular HD director's monitors with audio from the SDI stream means that a camera assistant is now replacing and entire crew position. A camera assistant is also in the "wrong" union. 

Wow, union rules be crazy! Thinks like that make me glad that I'm not in the USA. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've experienced increasing demand for 2 channel's of good audio to go to upto 3 cameras on multicam ENG shoots. It seems everyone wants the flexibility of reality style shooting for an ENG budget. Its always a battle to get them to pay for Links and ERX's.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2016 at 3:32 AM, RPSharman said:

And the "big deal" is that running sound to camera requires additional gear, which should be charged for. On some projects the camera audio is used, requiring more expensive broadcast quality equipment sending a link to camera. Most people in production won't recognise the difference between an IFB sending a scratch track and full quality audio. All I'm saying is that sending sound to camera should be an additional charge. It hurts everyone when people give things away for free. It becomes "expected".

On 3/7/2016 at 11:41 AM, new mexico said:

Where in my post, Robert ?... Does it say anything? - about: "Giving my equipment away" ... "For free"

On 3/8/2016 at 10:57 AM, RPSharman said:

Settle down. Where in my post did I say you were giving gear away for free and to stop it? I was speaking in generalities. People do give away camera links. They shouldn't. That's all I'm saying.

@ Robert Sharman:

Robert, then learn the appropriate use of quotation marks - - Especially, if you do not want anyone else to mis-interpret your (own) context?

("Big deal" - as seen in your post, quoted above.)